Posted (edited)

Hi team,

I was just wondering if there's a way to replace multiple Symbol instances with a different Symbol? I can't find a way to do this, to basically swap out a selection of Symbol instances.

Obviously I know that you can detach and recreate a Symbol, thus effectively duplicating it and then replacing the content of that Symbol - but this doesn't quite provide the same control as being able to swap multiple existing symbol instances with a different Symbol. An example of this would be swapping a number of icons (existing symbols) in a UI with a different icon, maintaining proportion and position on the Artboard - rather than dragging, resizing and repositioning a different icon from the Symbols panel.

I'm not sure if this feature has already been requested, or if it's been, or being, considered.

Thanks

Edited by simonlayfield
formatting

I have been using Illustrator for a few years to design boardgames, I discovered Designer a month ago and I have tested it designing a boardgame.

Replacing symbols is very useful when making counters and cards. It is probably the main tool I miss from Illustrator.

If you are trying to replace all of them, and the symbols are not detached, you can always design the replacement separately, expand the symbol "container" in the layers panel, make sure Sync is turned on, drag in the new stuff, and delete the old stuff.

30 minutes ago, fde101 said:

If you are trying to replace all of them, and the symbols are not detached, you can always design the replacement separately, expand the symbol "container" in the layers panel, make sure Sync is turned on, drag in the new stuff, and delete the old stuff. 

Yeah sorry this is what I meant when I said it's possible to replace all by replacing symbol contents. But, say, if you only want to replace some (not all) of them, then it's fiddly work.

In my case, I want to try different colourways for designs, with multiple artboards containing multiple instances of that design. Once I have a full set of boards in one colourway then I want to duplicate those artboards and change the colours of the design (Symbol). But I can't do this without detaching the Symbols, recreating a new Symbol and repositioning it in each place on the new Artboards.

If I was able to replace a Symbol with another, then I could keep the new Artboard symbols positioned as is, duplicate the original Symbol as a new one and then (drag and replace?) the new Symbol to replace them individually (or even better select in Layers panel, right click, Replace Symbol).

Does that make sense?