You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've created a flyer in Designer and inserted a logo that was previously created in Designer. Part of the logo is an image file. When I export the file (as a pdf for print or export), the image part of the logo prints as a black rectangle. 

If I print the artboard directly from Designer, it prints fine. 

I tried inserting the logo as a png file instead of using the Designer files - the whole logo then prints on a solid black rectangle (not just the smaller part that is the image file). 

I've used the logo file several times previously so think it must have something to do with version 1.7. I've attached the Designer file for your info. 

Any ideas what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks

Flyer_print_problem.afdesign

2 minutes ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I could not reproduce the problem you describe.

Me neither, Designer 1.7.1.404, Windows 8.1

Can you upload the problem PDF and also specify if you are changing any of the default PDF export settings

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi

Thank you both for your prompt responses. I'm on Designer 1.7.1 for Mac, OS 10.14.5.

No changes to pdf settings. 

File 1 = pdf for export, using the logo in Designer format
File 2 = pdf for print, using the whole logo inserted as png
File 3 = pdf for print, using the logo in Designer format

You got me thinking though... I've been using Preview to print. I tried printing the files using Acrobat Reader and there are no funny black rectangles BUT the image part of the logo (the shadow under the chair) didn't print. It's a better problem to have... 

1 v1 back pdf for export.pdf

2 v1 back pdf for print logo as png file.pdf

3 v1 back pdf for print logo as designer file.pdf

I'm not seeing any problem in the 3 PDF files you uploaded

It may be something to do with the PDF viewer you are using?

If you open the problem PDF directly in Designer does it look correct or not?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

All the PDFs print OK here, not sure what the problem is

• Staff

Hi BrendaW :)

I have tested this for you on both my Windows and Mac machines, printing to a Samsung M332x printer and I'm also not seeing any black rectangles over your logo - with either the vector or raster logo visible in the document.

Can you please try the PDF (Flatten) preset to see if this resolves your issue? This will rasterise all objects in your document whilst exporting to PDF, as I believe this issue to be rasterisation of one of your layers with Fx applied.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan

I used the PDF (Flatten) preset with no adjustments. That fixed the logo problem :) but... the central block of white space is now printing black. 

I also tried printing to a second printer but that didn't help the original logo problem. 

Thanks for trying... any other ideas?

• Staff

Thanks for that, please select the same preset then open the 'More' options. Here change the Embed Fonts dropdown option to 'Text as curves' - as I don't have your font files here this is the main difference between my exported document and yours. Does this help? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

The logo is fine with this option, but the white block is still printing black.

I decided to try something new - created a new Designer file, copied in an assortment of logos created previously in Designer, created a standard pdf for export and printed that from Preview. No black rectangles.That makes me think something odd is going on in the specific flyer file. I'm about to head away for a long weekend so will have to leave this until Tuesday to resolve fully but I have hope now that I can figure something out. Thanks for thinking about it with me - appreciate your time.

• Staff

How strange! If you import this exported PDF back into Designer, does it appear correctly?

Thanks for trying that with a new file, it certainly does indicate this issue is file specific.

Could you also please try creating a new document, copying all of the objects from the original document and then export this to PDF and print it, to determine if it is an object or the document at fault?

Is it possible for you to provide me with your font files? I don't believe them to be the issue here, but it's always worth checking! :) 

Hi again

I've had a play with all sorts of variation and combinations.

• I created a new file and copied over the contents > created a pdf (using pdf for export and pdf for print) -> black rectangles when printing the pdf to paper although the file 'looks' fine in both Designer and Preview. 
  • I tried printing the new file directly from Designer - no black rectangles.
  • I tried printing the original file directly from Designer - no black rectangles.
  • I tried printing pdf files of the original and new files from Acrobat Reader (created using pdf for export and pdf for print) - no black rectangles

It seems from all of that that something odd is going on with Preview...

I've attached the font file in the logo as you requested but as you said, it doesn't seem that's the issue. 

Let me know if you need anything else...

MrMoustacheText.otf

• Staff

Thanks for trying all that Brenda, and for the information provided.

8 hours ago, BrendaW said:

It seems from all of that that something odd is going on with Preview...

When printing from Preview, open the print dialogue and you should see a 'print preview' alongside your printer settings, before pressing print, does your document still display correctly here, or are the black rectangles visible?

Could you provide a screenshot of your print settings here? This should look as follows - 

Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 09.32.04.png

• Staff

Thanks for that, I'm going to keep investigating this issue and see if I can find the root cause, thanks for your patience here!

• Staff

BrendaW, does your printer have any speed/quality settings? A colleague of mine has seen a similar issue when the printer is set to 'fast' rather than 'quality'. Do you have any such settings in your printer drivers? If so could you try changing these and printing from preview again?