You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

First outputs from trial. Oh yeah :D

socapex

Minor plug, I had to do some box-art, logos, avatars and icons for a game I am working on. Even though it's in early stages, I want to slowly build up a network of interested people. Website art is also needed.

The banner and avatar are both from my first real session with AD! Note that the only prior illustrator experience was swearing at it for the past 2 weeks, though I am quite fluent in photoshop. The avatar is a bit empty, but it works for now and was practically free, considering I have 8 days left on trial hehe. The app icon is OMG SO BEAUTIFUl, but it'll stay a secret for now :D

https://twitter.com/everysolitaire

At least I can start spamming news about the progress now :)

Ty :) Here is the non-cropped version. Inspired by your own welcome screen, but I wasn't able to get the blur working and ended up with this. I also followed a tip from somewhere about using hue and a main palette. Since green is overdone for card games, went with a nice aqua.

Critiques welcomed, there is something a bit off but I can't put my finger on it. I like the movement though. Right and cubes "exploding" upwards. This was created in a panic state of "OMG I need art for my website" lol

6cibHDr.jpg

Good start! Takes a big step to launch an app. Good luck with it

OK, here comes the critique...

• Yes, green has been done to death. You are right to choose another colour. What about burgundy, bronze or purple?
  • Most playing cards only have the numbers and suit icon in the top left and bottom right.
  • Use a thinner font, a long thin serif based font is much more regal. Think clarions, swans and lances.
  • You need to show at least one reverse side of a card. Typically a repeated ornate flock style pattern; in a deep shade of your choice.
  • The numbers must be solid red (hearts and diamonds) and black (clubs and spades). It's just one of those conventions.

HTH

Ps are your familiar with Bruce Forsyth's Play your cards right?

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

peter, Thank you so much for the constructive criticism! I will take all of those points into consideration while I push forward. The cards have 4 numbers for practical reasons that make it a requirement on a computer. That being said, there is no need for that in banners/art etc. Really good stuff! Thank you very much :)

Also ty all for the positive feedback. I am not a graphics designer and I fear without affinity designer I would have already abandoned the project. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words. 'tis nice to receive good feedback from positive criticism. Never knew about the 4 corners rule: another day, another new fact.

Good luck with your upcoming app!

I'm not a designer either; just a hobbyist and a Serif fan since DrawPlus 2. :D

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111