You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Affinity Designer for me?

I'm looking for some objective advice pls.  I am a complete novice at graphic design.  But I want to get some software (for Mac) and teach myself how to create and edit graphical images.  So I need a product with good tutorials.   I then want to create some artwork for a child's storybook and export it for use in an iOS app.  Is Affinity Designer the right tool?  My internet searches suggest Sketch 3 is popular.  Is Sketch 3 better than Affinity Designer? 

If you respond to this post and you work for Affinity, I would appreciate if you would disclose that fact.  Thanks

Affinity Designer is a good choice. I think for a novice it might be more intuitive to learn than illustrator. There are fewer tutorials for it though. But they are our there.

If you are looking to do illustration, Affinity is a much better choice than sketch, which is geared toward UI design. The drawing tools in sketch are poor.

Compared to illustrator, there are fewer tools in affinity but all of the core stuff (and much more) are available. That being said, in many ways Affinity is a better drawing package than illustrator. I'm a professional designer and illustrator veteran and I tend to use Affinity designer for pure artwork and illustrator/photoshop and nuke for everything else.

Hope this helps.

@DMH, you will pick up Affinity Designer real quick, its easy to use, tutorials around and people on here willing to help out with any issues.

Photo's can be edited in the Affinity Photo app (currently in beta - https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ (download from emailed link)),

Both Designer and Photo's share very similar panel layouts and tools, and are both as great as each other.

I would highly reccommend the two - of which I use almost every day for work.

(note: I do not work for Affinity, I just use the software and forum)

Hope this helps,

Any questions drop me a message..happy to help.

www.sincetimebegan.com

Personal Portfolio