You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pub 1.7.1 problems with auto-flow and crash to desktop

Created a new document

Set up a standard double spread master (Master A) with linked text frames for body text and page numbering

Duplicated it for use on the first two pages, after removing page numbers and text frames (Master B)

Placed a small .DOCX file and auto-flowed it

Inserted 2 new pages at the start of the document and applied Master B to them while making sure physical page 3 had Master A. Pub now shifted the start of story text to physical page 4.

When I finally managed to make Pub understand that page 3 really had only Master A applied to it, the text shifted back to physical page 3, but Pub seemed to have become confused as to what physical pages had the inner and outer margins applied to them. They seemed swapped around.

Managed to sort that mess out after re-applying the masters to their respective pages, but now the imported / placed text vanished (as reported in an earlier post)

Deleted all pages after logical page 1 (physical page 3) and tried to place the text again. Now Pub had trouble locating .DOCX files in the disc, i.e had to type "*.docx" into the name field of the file dialog window for it to show up.

Saved and restarted Pub

This time Pub found my .DOCX file but refused to auto-flow the imported text. I.e. the correct number of physical pages were added, but only the first one showed text. (This worked fine right after I created the document.)

Manually flowed text, e.g. 3 to 4,  5 to 6, etc

Figured the link between the frames in Master A had become corrupted somehow, I deleted the flow-link between the two frames on the left and right pages of Master A.

Pub crashed to desktop.

It's possible I messed up somehow, but throughout all this, my settings looked ok to me. But in any case, the crash shouldn't occur.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @adreamer,

Apologies it took a while to get back to you.

I've been looking into this and have logged a couple of issues on the back of it.

Figured the link between the frames in Master A had become corrupted somehow, I deleted the flow-link between the two frames on the left and right pages of Master A.

Pub crashed to desktop.

I found with this I had to undo/redo but then I could reproduce the crash, I am running on a newer build than when you reported these issues however so things could have changed.

Deleted all pages after logical page 1 (physical page 3) and tried to place the text again. Now Pub had trouble locating .DOCX files in the disc, i.e had to type "*.docx" into the name field of the file dialog window for it to show up.

I think this might just been because it was looking for image files and not text files when the dialog opened.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com