You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 Bit Bitmap Recoloring in Publisher like in inDesign

How can Affinity Publisher recolor a placed 1 bit image?

My first image shows how this is done in Adobe InDesign. You place in a BW Bitmap mode tiff, use the Direct Selection tool to grab the placed image inside the frame, and then apply any swatch to it. Bam, this works great for reusable graphics.  These are 1200 ppi bitmap files. Old-School method.

I tried the same approach in Affinity Publisher and it seems like it wants to work but it can't.  I'm not sure if you can see it here but the 1 color graphic that I applied a green color to has a sort of green fringe around the edges where the zoom level is aliasing the view. But if you zoom in, each pixel still looks only black or white.

Can this be done in Affinity Publisher yet? This is pretty important for a few workflows. This is how I separate silkscreen graphics before sending to my printer who wants a black bitmap for each screen.  This is how many comic files are set up with the line art separated from the lower resolution color art.  I use this for placed logos and graphics that need quick recoloring but aren't vectors.

recolor 1 bit Indesign.png

Recolor 1 bit AfPub.png

Though we are able to colorize RGB, CMYK and greyscale (8bit) images, the support for 1bit is still kind of limited in Affinity.

To colorize a 1bit image you need to activate the "K-only" button in the tool bar for that image. Then it will show an assigned fill color:

2087682805_1bitbitmapcolorize1.jpg.7c91b32b82da0a624e61cb11e8aec07c.jpg  –> 1195905306_1bitbitmapcolorize2.jpg.859557678a967abb85894bceacfc041a.jpg

You also might want to look at this thread about 1 bit and various aspects and users needs:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/11273-saving-a-1-bit-black-white-graphic/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

Though we are able to colorize RGB, CMYK and greyscale (8bit) images, the support for 1bit is still kind of limited in Affinity.

To colorize a 1bit image you need to activate the "K-only" button in the tool bar for that image. Then it will show an assigned fill color:

2087682805_1bitbitmapcolorize1.jpg.7c91b32b82da0a624e61cb11e8aec07c.jpg  –> 1195905306_1bitbitmapcolorize2.jpg.859557678a967abb85894bceacfc041a.jpg

You also might want to look at this thread about 1 bit and various aspects and users needs:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/11273-saving-a-1-bit-black-white-graphic/

Hi Thomaso. Thanks for your reply.

I do not seem to have this K-Only button. hmmm...

1529125861_ScreenShot2019-07-17at4_47_28PM.thumb.png.efbb723a0e55867d9609df8cf3dcdefd.png

7 hours ago, Sonofwitz said:

I do not seem to have this K-Only button.

Do you get the K-Only button for any other image resource at all?

Can you show your Resource Manager for this heart graphic? Or/and upload the file?

11 hours ago, Sonofwitz said:

I do not seem to have this K-Only button. hmmm...

I am not sure but I think that button only appears for placed "(Image)" files & only if the document uses the CMYK/8 color format.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure but I think that button only appears for placed "(Image)" files & only if the document uses the CMYK/8 color format.

When switching my CMYK document to RGB then I don't get the "K Only" button but then I simply can colorize the bitmap image (by assigning a fill color) – regardless whether embedded or linked image (which was not placed but dragged onto the page from macOS finder).

18 hours ago, Sonofwitz said:

How stupid of me. My document was in RGB.

Hm? In a RGB document the bitmap image gets colored for me even easier (as I just mentioned in my recent post).

18 hours ago, Sonofwitz said:

Worth noting that this method works in RGB & CMYK in InDesign. 

As it does in AfPub, too. – Not for you?