You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - Not making seperate thumbnail images wrecked my placed images

Gentlemen, well this is no real big deal since I am only talking about 8 images spread over two documents thank goodness.  I decided to get lazy and could not be bothered to go back into photoshop to make seperate thumbnail images of my original ones which are placed oooo soo nicely in Publisher.  So .I grabbed them and placed them and minimized them.  To my absolute horror all my originals were then pixelated to 5 pixels per inch.  (Exaggeration neccessary).....Is this actually normal behaviour, I'm talking about Publisher not mine.  I know they are linked, so I suppose if they were embedded then this would not happen.  But is there a way to select the same image and have it appear in different sizes without having to make multiple copies of the original?  By the way there is no way that the modified thumbnail is 300 ppi, more likely 2000 but resource panel does not reflect this.

Capture.JPG.bf1077b89d7aa75e89a822b5dc0cf3f5.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

How did you "minimize" them? Double-click (or Edit document Edit image), then adjust them in Publisher?

If so, then yes, you updated your originals. That's the way that updates to Linked Images or Linked Documents work. The clue, if you had recognized it, was the presence of the Save option, or Publisher asking you if you wanted to save when you closed the tab. If you had been editing a local copy there wouldn't have been a Save option, or a prompt when closing the tab.

Making images appear as different sizes: Just grab a corner handle of the image on your Publisher page and drag it larger or smaller as you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

How did you "minimize" them? Double-click (or Edit document Edit image), then adjust them in Publisher

Making images appear as different sizes: Just grab a corner handle of the image on your Publisher page and drag it larger or smaller as you want.

Hi Walt I think, my fault, you misunderstand me just perhaps? (Have no fear even if I did nothing wrong it must be my fault somewhere so I am constantly reminded:D)  Firstly I never closed the document, I was still working on it while posting this message.  Secondly, I placed the same images TWICE:  on the second placement, which I took from my Image Document folder directly, not copied, I simply dragged the handles to size.  That's it. Nothng more nothing less.  I then luckily noticed when going to the pages where my other images were that they had indeed remained all the same size in mm, But, had become pixelated, in other words, the resolution of 300 for my 30x21mm images had affected my A5 300 pixel images to 20 ppi BUT this was not reflected at all in the resource manager, it still claimed that the A5 image had aplacement of 300 ppi, which clearly it did not.  

Something else also: I have the same image on my back cover photo in TWO seperate documents.  But both images are linked to the ONE image in the ONE folder, when I adjusted one image 'A'  in one document, my other Image 'B' in a completely different document) took on the adjustments of the altered image 'A' and became pixelated.  As I said, no problem, I will just quickly re-do the document, thank goodness they are only cards.

Capture.JPG.ae5707818fb74af6f56cdd20003e0d54.JPG

Anyway no matter, I simply went back to photoshop and made seperate thumbnails from originals as I did before I got lazy, and thought that I could do it in publisher without re-importing.  It's really no big deal, lucky that this was not on my larger documents. 

My Musing:

Theoretically I do not think really that this should happen, I am sure that once an image is placed and linked it should retain its info regardless of whether the original is then a second time placed, and that should retain its info and then so on and so on, I mean we have the technology, we have the brains, we have the sophistication to send drones to Mars and beyond...what more do I need to say9_9

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.