You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LUTS

• Staff

Hey aavishkar,

Have you tried different image formats to see if a particular one is triggering it? I've seen crashes before when it comes to the user choosing a LUT to load but not as soon as the LUT button is selected from the Adjustment Panel. 

• Staff

Hey aavishkar,

I'm still not certain if the crash occurs when you initially click the LUT adjustment or if it happens when you've found the LUT you want to load and then click 'Open'. If it happens when you click 'Open' can you attach the LUT here?

If it happens when simply clicking 'Load LUT' or if you use any of the presets, try resetting the app. Close down the app and then relaunch it with the Ctrl key held down and then on the Clear User Data dialog, just check 'Clear User Defaults' and see if this sorts it.

Hello again Chris

I followed your advice, but without a positive outcome.

Now I have returned to a grayed out screen when I click the LUTS button. This is very frustrating as I spent time loading LUTS purchased from Olivio Sarikas, and I am in the process of going through the exercises of the Workbook (see attached screen shot).

image.thumb.png.5d2ec741899a4f79d7accc5550e801e0.png

• Staff

Hi aavishkar,

I grabbed some of the LUTs from Olivio Sarikas (10 free ones) and they all work absolutely fine.

Would you mind installing the beta and see if this works for you? There have been a number of improvements over 1.7.1 so it is worth trying. 

The beta will install alongside your paid version:

Good morning Chris

I followed your suggestion and installed the Beta. And, yes, I am able to load the LUTs (at least the pre-installed ones). 

Question - is there a way for me to delete the LUTs that I have installed in the paid version? (BTW I also installed LUTs from Rocket Stock, besides the 80 LUTs I purchased from Olivio Sarikas) Perhaps this would remedy the problem? If it does, I could reinstall the RS and OS LUTs and that would give us insight into where the problem lies.

image.thumb.png.1f245b0fc0b2b15487c14de2aaaca70d.png

• Staff
16 hours ago, aavishkar said:

Question - is there a way for me to delete the LUTs that I have installed in the paid version?

If the app is locking up in the paid version meaning you can't right-click > Delete—the only thing I can think of is to either reset the app like you did before or rename the appdata folder. I'd probably recommend the latter. 

Press the Windows key + R and type in %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\ and then rename the 1.0 folder to 1.0 old

For what it's worth, I went back to the LUT adjustment panel and got the Not Responding message for a good 60 seconds or so before it came back to life. I imagine if I had more than 10 extras plus the presets it may have taken longer.

Voilà!! Your last observation is spot on. In my case it took a little over seven minutes (i7-8550U, 16 GB, GeForce® MX150 with 2 GB GDDR5), but at the end of that interminable wait the LUTs loaded.

I'm sure that you will agree that this is a great impediment to efficient workflow, and so I would appreciate if you could being this bug to the attention the the developers.

Many thanks

Douglas.

image.thumb.png.27c5c1f870746f01e69a7f1cae026a75.png

image.png

How many LUTs have you installed, Douglas?

This sounds something like the problem with having too many fonts installed, which 1.7 has largely resolved, but I suspect that computing a preview for each LUT is much more computationally complex than simply enumerating fonts.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
15 hours ago, aavishkar said:

I'm sure that you will agree that this is a great impediment to efficient workflow, and so I would appreciate if you could being this bug to the attention the the developers.

Yes I would say this needs looking at. Just adding the extra 10 I was using is taking way longer than I'd be able to tolerate on a regular basis.

4 hours ago, Annfinity said:

Also, (please let me know if I should create a separate post for this) as of about a last week or so, affinity has been closing randomly in the middle of working. Sometimes it crashes first, and other times it just closes on me without warning. I came on here to see if anyone else was having these issues. 

@Annfinity -  This really wants to be in its own thread if you wouldn't mind. Could you attach a crash report too?