You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tool Activity Jumps Between Mouse and Stylus

In summary, when using my Surface Pen or a touch on my Surface Pro 6, the selected tool (Vector Brush, Pencil, etc.) will jump from the last mouse location and the current touched location if I'm drawing along any edge of the workspace, creating a scribble. I've attempted to be thorough in searching for a solution and with the subsequent report below, but please reach out with any requests for further information needed or, if this is a known issue with a solution, what that solution might be.  Thanks.

-----

1. Are you using the latest release version?
    Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404
  2. Can you reproduce it?
    Yes.
  3. Does it happen for a new document?
    Yes
  4. Please give an accurate description of the problem:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)?
    Windows 10 Home
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)
    When drawing on the edges of the workspace area, the current tool jumps back and forth between the mouse and the current touchscreen position using fingers or a stylus, creating a scribble of lines.
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did).
    1. Select a drawing tool.
    2. Move the artboard to any edge of the workspace (with or without UI showing).
    3. Place the mouse cursor somewhere on screen (either on the artboard or in the toolbars).
    4. Begin drawing at the edge of the workspace with a stylus or finger touch until the cursor jumps back and forth to the mouse position and the currently touched position.
    5. Release the touch device and the squiggle remains.
  •    A screen capture/video
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/of6cyytk5wzavse/Affinity Designer 7_17_2019 11_51_26 AM_Trim.mp4?dl=0
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
    Surface Pro 6 and Surface Pen/touch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, @GabrielM.

Thanks for your patience.

Disabling Windows Ink Workspace in the registry did not fix the issue. If there's another way to completely disable Windows Ink, I''m having trouble finding it. Please let me know if there's something else you'd like for me to try.

Thanks,

Roe

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Microsoft Surface - Cursor jump if drawing close to the edge) of the program in the latest Windows customer beta of Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The 1.8.0.526 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.