You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am basically trying to recreate some Photoshop Actions I use all the time.

In Photoshop I can create a few Vibrance adjustments with vibrance at -100 and saturation at +100 and it shows the most intense areas.  In Photoshop these are just in a folder but they work without the folder too.  In Affinity Photo this doesn't really do anything like in Photoshop so I am not sure how the layers actually behave?  

I do have some other questions -- if someone out here is really proficient with Affinity -- would it be helpful if I sent over my Photoshop Actions -- I have 3 that I really want to match with Affinity.

Thank you,

Roman

[I've attached the vibrance effect that photoshop can (seemingly) accomplish and Affinity not]  -- before and after

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 9.17.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 9.17.07 AM.png

A couple of questions:

Increasing vibrance is like increasing saturation, but it avoids completely saturating the colour. Increasing saturation can, of course set all colours to maximum at 100%, which is what you seem to be aiming for. What intrigues me is what setting vibrance to -100% does?

3 hours ago, RomanNYC said:

In Photoshop these are just in a folder but they work without the folder too.

What folder is this? How does this relate to adjusting the images?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

20 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

A couple of questions:

Increasing vibrance is like increasing saturation, but it avoids completely saturating the colour. Increasing saturation can, of course set all colours to maximum at 100%, which is what you seem to be aiming for. What intrigues me is what setting vibrance to -100% does?

What folder is this? How does this relate to adjusting the images?

John

Hi John,

I am including screenshots of the UN-EDITED state, then one Vibrance adj with -100 vibrance, then with +100 saturation and how that looks on the image... then the same Vibrance adj layer (with -100 vib / +100 sat) duplicated two more times.   As then these are all put in a regular folder with a blending mode of "Pass Through".  The adjustment layers don't have anything special -- just a "Normal" blending mode.

That is my question, essentially -- how come something so basic, that seems to be mirrored in Affinity Photo in terms of setting parameters, doesn't actually look the same when done in Photoshop and Affinity Photo.  There must be something I am missing or the way the two programs handle layers or this particular adjustment must be different.

I have also included screenshots of the same setup in Affinity Photo... and you can see it doesn't matter if I have one, three, or eleven Vibrance adjustments with the same -100 vib / + 100 sat settings -- it just looks the same.

Am I missing something?

- Roman

Original - NO EDIT.png

-100 vib.png

-100 vib +100 sat.png

-100 vib +100 sat layer 2.png

-100 vib +100 sat layer 3.png

Folder Blending mode.png

3 vib layers in Affinity.png

11 vib layers in Affinity.png

I use this effect to see the strongest color in the scene - i mean if there is a similar effect in Affinity, please let me know.  I do have two other much more complicated questions and layers that has to do with a series of check layers and also a skin smoothing thing.  But I am starting off with this relatively simple issue.

• Staff

Hi Roman NYC,

Welcome to the forums :)

If possible could you provide your .PSD file and your .afphoto file so I can look into this further with you?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Hi Roman NYC,

If possible could you provide your .PSD file and your .afphoto file so I can look into this further with you?

Thanks

C

I posted the two files... but I also have two other Photoshop Actions that are a bit more complicated -- but I can't replicate the effect.  Can I include those two in a PSD file?

skin-retouch.psd

check-layer.psd

Edited by RomanNYC
additional file examples

7 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Roman NYC,

Thanks

C

Any update Callum with the vibrance, the skin-retouch and check layer PSD's I attached to this thread?

Thank you.

Roman

I have downloaded your files and I can see very little effect in applying the Vibrance adjustment layer with V=-100% and S=100%, even when it is applied three times.

I would question why you are using those parameters. Vibrance and Saturation are very similar in what they are trying to achieve, just using different algorithms. Why, then, are you applying similar procedures in  opposite ways. Surely they are going to counter each other. The outcome of this antagonism is likely to be unpredictable. Whether you are using PS or AP, you need to ask which one of these you are going to use and stick with it. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

This is a response to the message you posted in my thread on Vibrance sliders.

Since I no longer have Photoshop (even my legacy CS5 has ceased to function) I cannot assess how these adjustments appear in Photoshop. Can I suggest you upload:

A high quality jpg from you best result in Photoshop,

A high quality  jpg from your best result in Affinity.

John

Attached:

original file as JPEG, aRGB color space
original file as JPEF, aRGB color space, with vib at -100 and sat at +100 (3 times in a row) -- just like in my original PSD upload.

You can try to do the same settings in Affinity Photo, whereas I did the above in Photoshop and can't figure out how to reproduce the same result through these same adjustments.

4800test.jpg

4800test_vib-100sat+100.jpg