You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,
I am contemplating a switch from Adobe PSE and the first thing I wanted to know was "export for web" in Affinity Photo as I use this feature quite often in PSE. Googled it and landed right here. I am quite astonished finding out that the otherwise highly praised AP can't do this... As this is the first feature I have checked out with AP in researching PSE alternatives, I am curious finding what else won't work either...

11 hours ago, Sternbild said:

I am curious finding what else won't work either...

Hello @Sternbild and welcome to the forum.

it's not that this doesn't work. It's just not there, currently 😉

I suggest to look at the full feature list over here:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/full-feature-list/

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, daffy said:

This is really needed. We are planning to switch from Adobe but no preview makes Affinity almost useless if working for web. Please implement this feature!

On 5/13/2020 at 12:01 AM, Sternbild said:

Hi there,
I am contemplating a switch from Adobe PSE and the first thing I wanted to know was "export for web" in Affinity Photo as I use this feature quite often in PSE. Googled it and landed right here. I am quite astonished finding out that the otherwise highly praised AP can't do this... As this is the first feature I have checked out with AP in researching PSE alternatives, I am curious finding what else won't work either...

Yes please, we need this and people have been talking about this since 2015 here!

• 2 weeks later...

Really, so frustrating, first post of this issue on 2015, 5 years ago and the feature still on dev?? I just bought photo and designer. Please as web designers we need it, is a must on any software like this. Hope can give an answer for the community now on 2020 from the staff members just to know if they are really working on it and when will be deploy. If not, tell please to. 

:( 

Really, so frustrating, first post of this issue on 2015, 5 years ago and the feature still on dev?? I just bought photo and designer. Please as web designers we need it, is a must on any software like this. Hope can give an answer for the community now on 2020 from the staff members just to know if they are really working on it and when will be deploy. If not, tell please to. 

:( 

Oh no! Another crucial feature missing from Affinity that I need to switch from Adobe. And not implemented after 5 years of people telling you how critical it is. Super disappointing. I love so many things about Affinity but its just missing too many fundamental features.

This might not be a popular opinion but have you considered raising the price to pay for more developers? Or even make it subscription (much cheaper than Adobe please!). Non subscription I'm sure was a big selling point when you first released but honestly I think professionals at least are use to it now. Subscription clearly has its place in supporting developers invest in a product. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, I definitely don't know squat about software development but something seems wrong here. You have a great product with an active interested community clearly pointing out critical missing features but you don't seem to be able to address them :(

Thought I'd struck gold when looking for an alternative to Photoshop. However, extremely dismayed that a Preview function not available in Affinity Photo. This is a pretty basic and essential function, and am surprised that Affinity has not implemented this, 5 years after stating intent.

I've just installed the trial. Thought I'd try it out. Pro designer since Photoshop v3.

Considering switching the company to your suite, a big deal for me!

The first thing I did was open a mac screenshot (PNG24) and try to save it out for Wordpress.

Oh dear. Back to Photoshop already....

• 1 month later...

Also adding my name on that topic, since I need Preview export as a Web Dev. I bumped another topic on the similar subject.

I'm coming back to those topics because I'm about to switch back to PC (from Mac). I did test the app about a year ago and decided to use Pixelmator Pro (Mac version is very good and not expensive) for now, as that one did have export preview.

I'm now looking for a PC software to use (that supports PSD file and export preview for the web) and if anyone have a decent one to suggest, let me know. Might not be the greatest idea to talk about other software on this forum and I apologize for that, but when someone needs a specific tools for a job, surely he can ask fellow colleague for their preferences, right?

EDIT: You know, I've been seeing posts about FastStone Image Viewer. Having to use multiple program for one job is never ideal, takes more time to do simple task.
I understand that this might be a solution, perhaps not the best one but still one, and likewise there are multiple image optimizer online offering lossless image optimization and such. Perhaps it's time to streamline my work via an online tool... I might give this anoter try once I get my new PC.

Edited by Nickolas Simard

• 2 months later...

I've come back to this topic after three months to see if there has been any progress.

There has! The roadmap has been removed from the public facing internet.

So it seems like any pretence this was going to get fixed after 5 years on the list has been dropped.

As I think we've established in this thread, pretty much all competent web designers require this feature for image manipulation software to be useful. I do think that if you are saving out images without bothering to care about what they finally look like, then you are wasting your time using complex image manipulation software. 'Paint' is there for you, bro.

So it's back to the tender mercies of Adobe. Such a pity, I was really looking forward to giving the young upstart a chance.

I resorted to using GIMP's "not that great export tool" (I'm back on a PC Laptop so I'm open to suggestions for software replacing Adobe's!!).
And since my files aren't optimized as best as they could, I pay for the service of an image optimizer plugin on my Wordpress Website (Shortpixel Adaptive Image - AI).

That way, I just don't have to care if I upload 3000x2000 2MO images on my website, they'll render via a CDN at the proper resolution, size and quality...

Kinda a lazy solution but I cannot be bothered to search and search for a solution when I have production to do and deadlines to honour.

• 1 month later...

Back to the forum after a couple of months on this New Year's Day 2021. Will this year bring us "save for web", or will I have to keep relying on Adobe? Im am just about to set up a new Mac and would buy AP instead of paying Adobe yet for another year...

Edited by Sternbild
typo

• Staff

Hi @Sternbild,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's still no "save for web" or previews in Export Persona but the latest Affinity Photo and Designer Customer Betas added a Preview button to the regular Export dialog (for raster file types). Hopefully more improvements will in this area as we move forward.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, madonnaragu said:

Hi,

Is there really still no preview? :(

How can I test the beta? 

The betas are available from the Beta forums, usually as a pinned post at the top of the relevant forum. They install separately from the retail versions, with separate settings, etc. Please read the warnings associated with them; they are for testing, not production work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

56 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The betas are available from the Beta forums, usually as a pinned post at the top of the relevant forum. They install separately from the retail versions, with separate settings, etc. Please read the warnings associated with them; they are for testing, not production work.

I get that - but I can't use my non-beta trial key to activate the beta. How can I test it?

2 minutes ago, madonnaragu said:

I get that - but I can't use my non-beta trial key to activate the beta. How can I test it?

If you want to test it while it’s still in beta, the only way you could do so is to purchase the current retail version: buying from the Affinity Store would mean you’d be covered by their 14-day ‘no quibble’ money back guarantee. Otherwise, wait until version 1.9 has been released to retail.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you want to test it while it’s still in beta, the only way you could do so is to purchase the current retail version: buying from the Affinity Store would mean you’d be covered by their 14-day ‘no quibble’ money back guarantee. Otherwise, wait until version 1.9 has been released to retail.

I see. Thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

You can zoom into the preview for more details (Ctrl+scroll wheel or Ctrl+Shift+scroll wheel on Windows). Depending on the complexity of the image you'll have to wait a bit until "Calculating" beside "Estimated File Size" vanishes.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

10 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

You can zoom into the preview for more details (Ctrl+scroll wheel or Ctrl+Shift+scroll wheel on Windows). Depending on the complexity of the image you'll have to wait a bit until "Calculating" beside "Estimated File Size" vanishes.

Thank you very much, now I see it, zoom in mac option+scroll