You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just downloaded and installed a trial version of photo and designer and tried to continue working on a project which I started with Adobe products. My first impressions made me seriously thinking about changing to Affinity. However, when it came to export some graphics for the web I couldn't find a preview function. At the end I found others asking for this essential basic function in this forum.

Is it really true that people are asking for a preview and there didn't happen anything since June 2015? Will this problem ever be solved and if so: when?

Thank you in advance

Edited by affinity-chicken

• 3 months later...

I'm shocked that such an important feature is not yet implemented since 2015. I need this feature badly, like many other of your users. Please give us a date when we can expect this feature or I have to look for an alternative to solve this issue.

• 1 month later...

I'd also like to add my vote for implementing a live preview when exporting. As others have stated, as a web dev it is very important to be able to see a live preview along with the estimated file size when choosing a compression level. I'm surprised Affinity Photo doesn't have this functionality, when most of the other image editors I use (although inferior to Affinity Photo in most other ways) all include.

Hopefully we see this implemented sooner rather than later.

They are great programs but something as basic as preview is a big disappointment. I just bought the licenses and I have been disappointed. I will have to continue using other programs to save images for the web. Even Gimp has this option.

The worst thing is to verify that this option is in process since 2015. 

I recently bought all Affinity Apps because I want to switch away from Adobe. Since then, I've stumbled across several things that I still miss. Unfortunately, the lack of an export preview is now a real problem. I can’t really use Affinity Photo for work anymore until at least a basic export preview is implemented (and have to pay for another year of Adobe CC :(). I very much hope that an export preview will come very soon. 

+1 from me as well.

I came across this product recently, and really interested. Just tried the trial version, and found this "problem" immediately which bugged me out. Simply Googling the problem and here I am now.

As a web developer, I use image preview A LOT when exporting images. I hope this feature update can be implemented as soon as early 2020... Can't imagine this basic yet important feature has been missing since 2015... 

• 1 month later...

I just bought Affinity Photo in order to replace Photoshop Elements in my web design flow.

I am also EXTREMELY underwhelmed by the absence of an export preview function. Now I still have to use PSE and Affinity Photo is 
essentially useless.

I am sort of regretting my purchase ...

Could you please make this preview feature request very high priority?

On 1/10/2020 at 11:09 PM, frimipiso said:

I just bought Affinity Photo in order to replace Photoshop Elements in my web design flow.

I am also EXTREMELY underwhelmed by the absence of an export preview function. Now I still have to use PSE and Affinity Photo is essentially useless.

I am sort of regretting my purchase ...

Sorry, but isn't it always better to check before buying what the thing/program actually does? This can be found on the forum, possibly with a trial version.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

22 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Sorry, but isn't it always better to check before buying what the thing/program actually does? This can be found on the forum, possibly with a trial version.

You're right, but it's something basic for a professional program, even Gimp has this option.

On 6/10/2015 at 10:41 PM, MEB said:

This is already on our roadmap to be implemented soon later.

Apparently MUCH later!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, J-MGK said:
You're right, but it's something basic for a professional program, even Gimp has this option.

You're right, there are dozens of them (for example, I use FastStone Image Viewer).
Therefore, missing Export Preview for most users is probably not such a problem, because it is quite easy to work around.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

6 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

We did not pay to have to use a freeware workaround.

I don't know about you, but I didn't pay for it. At the time of purchase, I knew that Affinity didn't offer this feature.
And because it is not important for me (I can easily replace this feature), I bought the entire Affinity Suite to my full satisfaction.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

You're right, there are dozens of them (for example, I use FastStone Image Viewer).
Therefore, missing Export Preview for most users is probably not such a problem, because it is quite easy to work around.

It slows the workflow. The solution is not to use several programs for basic functions. I see that for many it is a problem.

• 1 month later...

I'm unpleasantly surprised by this feature missing. I was a hard core Photoshop user for years and I was very satisfied when I discovered Affinity Photo. I removed Photoshop instantly. Soon after I found out that Export preview is missing. Don't know what to do now. I can't do serious work without this feature, as using workarounds is time consuming. I'm using trial version and I wonder should I buy it or not. I'm seriously considering giving GIMP another chance.

• 4 weeks later...

As a web developer this is the ONE feature that is keeping me from switching to Affinity Photo. Unfortunately I cannot purchase this software without said feature. I'm kind of baffled it has been on the roadmap for 5 years now. I share this sentiment with a lot of colleagues. We are eager to switch from adobe to affinity but until this feature is sorted we can't make the jump.

Can you guys at least tell us what's keeping this from being implemented? There are a lot of web developers waiting for this so I'm guessing it would result in a lot of sales...

On 1/13/2020 at 12:39 PM, J-MGK said:

It slows the workflow.

Slows down, but not significantly. Web-optimized export is done at the end/once when the work is complete. There is no problem to make this final export with a reduction of the resulting file in a specific application.

Working in Affinity applications is what interests me and what I don't do in other applications (I don't want to do). Not export with a preview, that I can easily handle in many other applications. Therefore, not buying this otherwise highly rated product due to this easily substitutable feature does not seem very smart to me.

Saving files (fx a group photo or a portrait with a blurred background) as JPG for a website without a preview is crippling. Not slowing, but crippling. You have to see the actual output and compression artifacts.

In the case of Affinity even more important. The algorithms are vastly inferior to those used in Photoshop and file sizes also different. You have to see what you will GET. Feedback. A cornerstone in usability.

In Photoshop I have NEVER saved a photo for website use without inspecting the preview and resulting file size. Never!

image.png.f49b4b14463b166d78129abbf5170cf0.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Jesus lord, I was thinking I was going mad, I went to export and NO PREVIEW... WOWWWWWWW,  Adobe Fireworks has had this feature in there for 20 years or more, do the author's realise how important and elementry this feature is ??????????????????????

And it has been a request since 2015, that's 5 YEARS NOWWWWW... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Frustrated to say the least. Please implement this.