You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to toss my comment in here as well: this feature would really speed up my workflow. So much of my time is spent exporting and then checking to see the quality of the export (from a compression standpoint). I think this feature should be a higher priority on the roadmap list.

• Staff
On 3/9/2018 at 2:17 AM, Paul Ingraham said:

Huge fan of what you’re doing, but I am amazed and horrified that there’s still no export preview. You get a big Jerry Seinfeld style “really?” for this. It’s been a long time. It’s crazy overdue based on your own roadmap.

Headed to app store now to knock a couple stars off my reviews. You’ll get ‘em back when the app gets export preview! 

Good to know that a small part of one feature accounts for 40% of your review score.

As has been said, export preview is on the road map.  I am hoping to get something working in 1.7, but that depends on a number of factors.  Many people have asked for on-spread previewing, which brings a whole load of UI and visualisation issues.  Our slice system is more complex than other apps - we allow a single slice to export multiple configurations, so its not possible to just show a slice preview.  It will need to be much more involved than that.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Everyone has one feature that is going to speed up their workflow.  Unfortunately, for every person it is a different feature.  Our team is only so big, so we can only do so much at a time.  I tend to do improvements on different sections of Affinity.  A lot of work was done on the export persona a while ago with the addition of fully configurable multiple slice export.  Since then other areas of the app have needed attention - areas that other users said would improve their workflow.

Its difficult to completely finish a feature - so we work to a point where a feature ticks most boxes.  Export is huge and will always get improvements.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Sokolowski,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Export preview wasn't implemented yet. It's on our roadmap to be implemented during the 1.x cycle of the app (as a free update) but there's no eta for this (or any other feature) specifically.

Thanks. I saw Your post from 2015? with reply about this same issue and information that this feature is on roadmap.
Looks like You have another priorities than this, what is fine.
For me preview in export in _photo_ tool is a must have, so I will stick with Photoshop or use GIMP. I don't know any single photo app without this function, so Affinity is quite innovative on this field.

Thanks again for reply. 

• Staff

Hi Sokolowski,
Affinity Designer and Photo are still quite new. There wasn't yet time nor dev resources to implement everything users are requesting - even a few basic functions - otherwise the app would never be launched. The dev team(s) are working as fast as they can do close those gaps/fill users requests. Please bear with us while we work on it.

Just adding my name to bump this important topic. Export previews are absolutely essential. I love affinity and am very comfortable with most of the app's features but just can't understand why they omit an essential such as this and fail to make it a priority.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi abf,
The issue is there's several essential features depending on the user's interests. We didn't/don't have neither time nor dev resources to address them all as fast as users are hoping for.

Hire more developers? :)

Seriously, I hope you manage to get this feature implemented soon (along with better JPEG export quality). It really is an essential feature for web designers/developers that should have been there from the start IMO.

Good luck :)

• Staff
35 minutes ago, globalmatt said:

Hire more developers? :)

Seriously, I hope you manage to get this feature implemented soon (along with better JPEG export quality). It really is an essential feature for web designers/developers that should have been there from the start IMO.

Good luck :)

Hi globalmatt,
Serif is hiring more developers but finding them is not easy/takes time.

The implementation/development of new features depend on development goals/constraints/time, takes in account user's requests but can't be dictated by a voting system: certain features may not be implemented until some work/dependencies have been finished or expanded in the same or in other apps of the suite (they share code), certain bugs corrected first or may require heavy research/testing/time which have to be balanced with dev and/or commercial goals.

We have a list of frequently/common requested features here for reference (to avoid duplicates) and the dev teams checks/follow the Feature Requests/Suggestions section all the time. Eventually the most requested features will end up in the application whenever possible.

@MEB - could you point users to right help desk section or video how to optimise export without preview?

I really would like to use Affinity, and switch workflow to one app. This same PSD file exported in Photoshop and Affinity not only give different preview but also its really cluttered in some cases.

Good, step by step video how to make a export PS vs AFF probably could solve most of problems as our goal is just to get images optimised for web.

Ex: In PS you can optimise based on visual - we know some colors are easier/harder to optimise without loosing quality.

8 hours ago, Sokolowski said:

how to optimise export 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 6/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, Sokolowski said:

@MEB - could you point users to right help desk section or video how to optimise export without preview?

I really would like to use Affinity, and switch workflow to one app. This same PSD file exported in Photoshop and Affinity not only give different preview but also its really cluttered in some cases.

Good, step by step video how to make a export PS vs AFF probably could solve most of problems as our goal is just to get images optimised for web.

Hi Sokolowski,
We don't have a specific video for this since there isn't much you can do without a preview other than actually exporting the image and compare it to previous results/exports. Different images require different compression settings (JPG) depending on the detail/colours etc, so there's no universal rule here. The only things you can do to reduce file size a little is to remove the embedded metadata if you don't need it included and the colour profile (assuming the encoded colour data is sRGB) since nowadays most browsers/devices assume all images are/use sRGB. As far as i know currently we don't perform any specific optimisations for web on export so my advice is to use a third party software or services for this like JPEGmini, RiOT, TinyPNG, and/or the myriad front end/utilities for lossy (and lossless) compression/optimisation of files for web.

• 1 month later...

I'll add myself to the list of people who (after months of use of AD) miss an export preview. I work for web and size is essential. AD has tools that address retina and different dimensions of export, but all of this happens in darkness. I don't know what I am exporting unless I go and inspect it and then return and modify and export and review.. The whole Idea of automated export falls flat on its face when it's done without having an idea what one is doing. And if I have to additionally run files through other tools... Ah, really, how is this helping? So, please guys, take this more serious. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really can not believe that this feature is still not implemented. This is not even a real feature - this is a basic functionality for every app that exports images to be used on the web. Please don´t let us stand in the rain any longer.

4 YEARS

This is not funny!

• 4 months later...

I'm waiting for this feature since I know Affinity and that means years. Please implement an export preview like in PS in AD and AP. It will help a lot if you have to optimize your image quality / file size for web/mobile.

I would pay for it on a kickstarter campaign if you need some extra development power to do this.