You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In the Export Persona, when exporting an image for the web and you want the size as small as possible, you want to see a preview of what you will be exporting. So you can change the quality of a jpeg and see instantly what the result will be. The same when you change the number of colors in the palette of gifs and pngs.

Also show the sizes in bytes of the slices you are exporting. The size is shown in the simple Export, but not in the more advanced Export Persona.

Fireworks does this very well, it even has multiple previews with different export settings.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/06/2015 at 10:41 PM, MEB said:

Hi edwinm,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is already on our roadmap to be implemented soon.

Hi is there any update on this? Its 2017 now and I'm on verion 1.5.2.69 - not having a preview is a major problem for me and I'm having to use Adobe Photoshop still which I'm trying to move away from :-(

• Staff

Hi Rob123456789,

Sorry the misleading information above. The export preview is indeed on our roadmap and will be implemented during the 1.x cycle for free but i don't know in which order the dev team decides to pick/implement roadmap's items. They have already added other features from it but this one remains to be added.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everybody needs export preview! Both in File -> Export and Export Persona.

All the work in AP is useless without this, really. Or you have to export from here and then open picture in Photoshop to make compression in proper way. Very strange workflow.

Please, please, waiting for this so much.
Thanks a lot. Amazing product.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if this feature is still coming and when.

Today I received an e-mail about the latest 1.6 update and I was hoping this was finally implemented.
This is the first thing I check in every update.

Alas, no preview.

I really love the software, but I just can't use it yet without this..

It's going back on the shell until the next update.

I am very sad.

I was hoping to find the preview, with this new update.

Affinity is great, but without export preview, it's a lame horse or a car without wheels (beautiful, powerful, but when you put it on the track does not go.)

Everybody needs export preview!

I hope you will listen to these requests.

Thanks a lot.

David

• 2 weeks later...
On 10. 6. 2015 at 11:35 PM, edwinm said:

I am also disappointed. This is an absolutely essential feature. This program looks very nice (also a designer), but there are many and many unfinished but basic functions.
For example, this one. Why is here the export quality setting when there is no preview? Each of us needs to optimize the size and quality of graphics or photos.
Optimizing photos for the web is crucial for the speed of loading.

This post is an old two and a half years. I was waiting for the upgrade and nothing. This feature is also in Photoshop Elements, which is at the same price as Affinity Photo. Will be here by 2020?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes big, huge +1 from me. Just created an account here to show the importance of this feature. i actually couldn't believe that this not on board already. Looking forward to using this in the future which hopefully won't be too far away. Thanks guys, so great to finally have such a worthy competitor to adobe products! 

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased Affinity Photo. So far I am loving it, but I am amazed that there is no export preview. This is such a fundamental part of my workflow as a web designer/developer. It's essential to preview image quality when choosing export settings.

This is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. Even the (non-pro) Pixelmator has this feature.

I hope this gets implemented soon. IMO this should be at the top of the developers' list.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember trying this program when it first came out and it had no preview function. I let you all know that due to my workflow that not having this was a deal breaker for me.

I am so badly wanting out of Adobe's snare but I need to be able to preview what I am exporting or it just makes the whole workflow painful if you want to balance speed and quality for web based images.

Until there is an export preview function I will not purchase your programs. I would use Photo and Designer as my main design programs if they had this feature.

Nice job on some of the bells and whistles which I really don't have a huge need for though. Your program has come a long way from the beta days a few years back.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sk4nner said:

it cruicial for everybody optimizing images for web

If this is so necessary for you, why not use the export in some other program (such as free FastStone Image Viewer).

5a8af977bba90_Exportpreview.png.9821136376149908e3f1d4d5c0ecc268.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 20/02/2018 at 3:23 AM, Pšenda said:

If this is so necessary for you, why not use the export in some other program (such as free FastStone Image Viewer).

Because to export every single edited (or re-edited) image as a PNG24 from Affinity Photo, re-import it into an app like this, re-export it again for web, then delete the PNG24 image would take unnecessary time and effort. As a professional web developer I export tens, sometimes hundreds of images per day, which would add up to a lot of wasted time. I would rather switch back to Photoshop or Pixelmator (which both have built-in export preview) than do that.

Plus I don't use Windows. :)

6 hours ago, globalmatt said:

As a professional web developer I export tens, sometimes hundreds of images per day

And you need to know the specific quality of compression to everyone image? Corresponding compression quality (JPEG) is enough to be found once.

6 hours ago, globalmatt said:

PNG24 image

With this format, you do not need a preview before exporting. An output preview can be done directly in AD (Pixel mode).

P.S. I do not say that this basic function should not be implemented. Just, when it's a big problem for Serif, I'd try to get around.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

And you need to know the specific quality of compression to everyone image?

As a web developer, pretty much, yes!

Corresponding compression quality (JPEG) is enough to be found once.

I disagree, for web development. Every image is different, and requires a different quality setting to produce the best acceptable quality at the smallest file size for web.

With this format, you do not need a preview before exporting. An output preview can be done directly in AD (Pixel mode).

I think you're missing my point. I mentioned PNG24 precisely because it is lossless. i.e. I could then theoretically import it into some sort of image converter and convert to JPEG (although like I say this would be a time-consuming workflow). It wouldn't make sense to export from AD as a lossy JPEG then re-export again from the image converter as another lossy JPEG (although it might be OK if you exported from AD as 100% quality perhaps).

• 2 weeks later...

I want to give a big +1 to support this feature. I just installed Affinity Photo trial and it is a wonderful product. But a big part of being a web developer is finding the right balance between quality and file size, and like previous posters said, every photo is different.

Some photos are used as full page backgrounds and don't have fine detail, so quality can and SHOULD be notched down as much as possible (for large background images). Others do have fine detail and may need to be bumped up high on quality. Some photos I can get down to 30% quality, while others I need 80%. There is quite a range here. You can do this very quickly in Photoshop by nudging the quality bar until you find something just right. This will be a lot slower in Affinity by having to save and preview the save, go back etc.

Moreover, from an SEO standpoint, Google cares about how long it takes to load a website, especially for mobile. The more kilobytes you can save with optimized images, the better.

Huge fan of what you’re doing, but I am amazed and horrified that there’s still no export preview. You get a big Jerry Seinfeld style “really?” for this. It’s been a long time. It’s crazy overdue based on your own roadmap.

Headed to app store now to knock a couple stars off my reviews. You’ll get ‘em back when the app gets export preview!