Alright so I am trying to create my resume within Affinity Designer.

There are two operations I am trying to do in the header and they are prooving to be a lot more difficult then perhaps they could be. I am wondering if I am forgetting some feature/workflow that might make this easier. Could you please look at these videos of me working with the application and see if you can think of a way that these operations could be easier?

Situation 1: The goal is to be able to edit the font/content/character of this text and have it automatically center.

Video of current workflow

Situation 2: The goal is to have the two black dots centered in the screen and surrounding the email.

Video of current workflow

If you can think of any features/workflows etc that would make these goals easier to obtain please do let me know.

Thankyou

Hi @CalebK

This is how I do it:

Example 1: Text Alignment / Center icon (Designer)

center-text.gif.110878700d2ff7fff3f2fb1ea127424a.gif

Example 1: Text Alignment / Center icon (Publisher)

center-text.gif.fd81ec96bbb6def86b16ffa16a6ca10f.gif

Example 2: Using the Glyph Browser Studio Panel (Designer)

text-dots.gif.e73d853d96ce5d713c73ed4ff046f19c.gif

Example 2: Using the Glyph Browser Studio Panel (Publisher)

text-dots.gif.fa79f3119d5c367cee1bb801ca0853f0.gif

A note on using the Glyphs Browser:

For shapes like dots & such, you can set second popup to "Geometric Shapes" (if the selected font includes them) instead of to "All" to make it easier to find suitable glyphs.

Some fonts include a lot of geometric shapes; others not many:

Arial.jpg.bb3e4cbcbef2dadc265e55b03934cf8e.jpg Talapanna.jpg.14162958cff42e304785368ed91b1268.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

I really appreciate the help here yall :)

I like the glyph solution but what about the following situation. I have 3 text frames. The aim is to have them overall be centered and equally spaced a part. Even though I can center to the spread as soon as I start messing with horizontal distribution their center will no longer be THE center. Is there a good workflow that does this differently but allows that?