You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG Exports from AD waaaay smaller than from AI

I often create vector drawings that need to be exported to an SVG file format. I then import this file into a desktop CNC program to create tool paths. When I export to SVG from Adobe Illustrator and import into my CNC program it works fine . . . . . vector outlines appear the correct size with no issues. However, when I export to SVG from Affinity Designer and then import into my CNC program it appears teenie tiny - a fraction of the size it's supposed to be! I have tried exporting the SVG file in as many various permutations as I can and nothing seems to work. Anyone have any ideas?

I found an answer for this in the last 24 hours. So . . . . I'll share in case someone else needs/finds it.:

1. Select “New Document” from the pull down menu.

2. Set up the document units to pixels to use pixel measurements in place of millimetres. (1:1 ratio for document size)

3. When creating your vector object, and by way of example, if desired size is 100mm square, make the object 100 pixels square (again, 1:1 ratio).

4. Save the document as AD’s native file format for future use and editing

5. Export the document using the export option in the file menu.

6. Select 'SVG (for web)'. Click 'More' for extra options. 

7.  Deselect 'Set viewBox'  and select 'Add line breaks' (you may wish to try and not select 'Add line breaks' as well, it made no difference for me).

8. Export the file.

9. Import file into your 3rd party working app, CNC program, laser cutting program, etc.