You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot Run Affinity Photo on MacOS Catalina: blocked on security check

On MacOS Catalina Beta, running the app is blocked with system message:

"Affinity Photo" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software."

I am pretty sure you just need to notarize your apps. Very unlikely, but in case you have heard yet, for this video: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/703/

Can you get you apps ready for Catalina by notarizing them now? They will still work on Mojave...

• Staff

Hi Peak,

We will most likely make compatibility adjustments in regards to Affinity and Catalina when Catalina is closer to release.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

20 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, if you go into prefs, open security section, open it To edit prefs there if you have it locked, then, you can mark the line ”open Affinity Photo on own risk”...

This is something I have to deal with every new update installation of the latest betas on Mac (Publisher/Photo/Designer)...

In Catalina, I don't see any options in "System Preferences"/"Security & Privacy" to disable notarization requirement...

The old trick of right-click open app no longer work.

I believe if the app is signed by the developer, then it must be notarized by Apple.

Maybe some command line tool can turn this off. I haven't found any answer so far...all I see any signed app must be notarized.

10 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

I have this setup running on my iMac 27”/5K already!

I have latest Catalina beta on iMac and all the Affinity Suite of apps running, including beta of Publisher and Photo (Designer yet not sny 1.72 beta released)...

I’m away from my Mac this week, but, somewhere in preferences you CAN enable Affinity apps to open, I’m 100% sure...

okay. would love to learn where that switch is. please let me know when you are at you iMac. 

On 7/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

So right after dismissing the "Cannot open..." system dialog box, open the "Security & Privacy" system pref, it'll show "... app was blocked from opening..." with an "Open Anyway". Kind of the same as  previous version of macOS.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 17.00.38.png

• 2 months later...