You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How best to do this- custom "bullets" for a form

I need to create a referral pad with a few hundred options - each of which require a large circle that can be filled in with pen/pencil.  Some items will wrap (so, no circle on the second line) and some will be indented (so, the circle needs to move right, too).  I'm sure I'm overthinking the solution - but, I've tried working with bullets and numbers to no avail.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

In the screenshot below, the circles were created using the eclipse tool (which I know is not the right way to do it!)

publisher.png

It might be easier to do with a font which already has build-in support for certain glyphs (like a circle, rounded rect, rect etc.). See also Unicode Character 'BALLOT BOX' (U+2610) and supporting fonts. This way the glyph and characters are sized accordingly and can be easier layed out.

BTW for the indented line options (glyphs) it might be clearer to use rounded rects as checkboxes then instead of circles too.

See also (Arial Unicode MS): Unicode Characters in the Geometric Shapes Block

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you- a follow up question if I may.  If I create a print ready PDF that a professional printer will use, will they need to have the corresponding font installed? Or will the PFD render them ok as-is?  (or perhaps there is a check box I need to click to ensure the page prints at 300 dpi?).  Our "brand standard" font of Franklin Gothic URW supports a circle glyph, but it sits way too high (and is too small) to use (screenshot below).

screenshot_4867.png

You should be able in Publisher to adjust that single circle character, e.g. select it and adjust it's position and size accordingly to your needs. That should also be applicable to some own paragraph style then in Publisher, so you just have to assign that style on consecutive lines etc.

Related to the export, if you export with embedded fonts (though I'm not sure if Publisher in the meantime supports embedding fonts in PDFs), or if you raster the text (not sure you want to since it gets a bitmap then) before exporting as PDF, then it should be part or glued into the exported PDF file. - However, if the print service has the used font, then it shouldn't be a problem here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for your latest tip too - I'm off to read up now.  In the meantime, what took me hours and hours before (trying to get everything to line up), will be a breeze now. I have two new styles created, so I will simply enter all my text, apply the correct styles, and then tab the indented lines over. I'm so happy!  The screenshot below show the end result.

Thank you very much!

screenshot_4870.png