You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF export error when exporting to x1a:2003 or x3:2003

[Last exception 2100 in PDF_clip]["Function must not be called in 'page' scope"]

Error happens on both x1a and x3. X4 (and normal PDF) works fine.

I believe I know the problem - transparent images. x4 supports transparent images, but x1a and x3 doesn't. I need to export to either x1 or x3 for my print-on-demand provider. Can we flatten/rasterize any transparent images with page background so we can have a x1 or x3 compliant PDF?

I'm using PNG files with transparencies as linked resources.

thanks

• Staff

Hi Jim,

I just got your file when looking into the issue with hyperlinks causing PDF export to fail (which I still need to look at).

Is this reproducible with the same file? If not can you upload the afpub file and transparent PNGs to the same location? I've quickly set up a document with transparent PNG's in and exported to x1a without an error.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

Hi Jim,

I just got your file when looking into the issue with hyperlinks causing PDF export to fail (which I still need to look at).

Is this reproducible with the same file? If not can you upload the afpub file and transparent PNGs to the same location? I've quickly set up a document with transparent PNG's in and exported to x1a without an error.

Thanks

Yes. It should be the same file. That file is from a old backup. I'm using a (much newer) different file now I'm getting this error. If not, just let me know and I can provide another file.

Also, if it's image related, I can zip my linked resources or you can insert some PNGs there as well.  

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

Hi Jim,

Thanks

I uploaded a 1 page file with images that produces the error when exporting to 1a.

• Staff

Thanks Jim,

I can reproduce this, but I'm not sure it's down to transparent PNG's.

The issue seems to be within the decorations Layer in the Header Layer on your master Page,

The header filler groups contain lots of curves (well, 5 or so), and in each of these groups there is a curve which has no Width or Height, it's essentially a blank curve. These are what are causing the export to fail (from this single page file atleast). If you go into the Right Page Header Filler/Left Page Header Filler/ Page Decorator 1 Left/Page Decorator 1 Right layers you'll notice each contains a curve with no width and height. Untick these and that file will export (and look no different since these curves don't achieve anything).

Either way, we should probably handle this a bit better so I can get it logged, but do you know how those curves got created? I'll have a go at creating these myself.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

but do you know how those curves got created? I'll have a go at creating these myself.

Strange that I was able to export to other PDF formats.

As far as how I created them? I have no idea. Most likely it was from my first attempts at using the Pen tool to draw lines. I might have clicked a start point and then switch tools, or maybe drew a line and then deleted it.