You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issue with justification - Publisher

It looks like you have chosen Justify All, rather than Justify Left:

image.png.64fc419362f521e66791ca4d0e6bc32f.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

yes, it may look like that but I can promise you that I've not missed something as obvious as that - I've tried every permutation of justification. What I can't find is a setting which sets the width at which justification isn't applied. Can't think of the term but I'm used to having it in Word and in the old day Freehand. Just to prove the point here's what the same two lines with the setting which you suggest (Justify All) applied:

Screenshot 2019-07-17 at 8.38.16 am.jpg

Hi John

1 hour ago, John Fleet said:

What I can't find is a setting which sets the width at which justification isn't applied. Can't think of the term but I'm used to having it in Word

@walt.farrell was referring to the different options that can be found by using the drop down arrow to the right of the full justification in the context toolbar. The second screenshot down shows what you are used to by applying the setting in Word options to prevent last lines stretching to the extremes. The third down is just the normal left align. The bottom screenshot in the image shows further adjustments that are in the Paragraph Panel, these can be adjusted to suit the flow you would prefer, you might need to adjust all 3 to achieve a more pleasing justification depending on your text.

Justify.png

1 hour ago, John Fleet said:

yes, it may look like that but I can promise you that I've not missed something as obvious as that

OK. It's a common thing to miss (from other posts here), so it seemed a good first suggestion.

With further research, I see that even with Justify Left, if you have inserted a Line Break after "Secretary." and after ".com" you'll see that behavior. Here's a duplication of what you showed:

image.png.c1b4152117132dda5bbaea92337f3493.png

There's a space after "Secretary" and a line-break after "com", and the frame is narrow enough that Publisher needed to break after "Secretary". This is with Justify Left.

I know of two solutions:

1. HIghlight those lines, and mark them as Align Left, rather than Justify Left: image.png.37a76b7496b0805fd931ca9691b3dc26.png
  2. The other is to use Enter after each line, so each is the last line of their paragraph, and to use a Paragraph Style that has Space After set to 0.

By the way, you've posted in Photo Bugs found on MacOS, but you're talking about Publisher. For future reference, the Publisher bugs forumfor MacOS is here. A moderator will probably move this when they notice that it's misplaced.

I don't think you've found a bug, but there is probably room for improvement in the handling of justification. Thanks for providing a good example.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1