You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've just bought an Epson ET-3750 scanner/printer. Because I'm on a Mac I've got to use the Apple driver.

When I use Acquire  Image and select the scanner, the result is totally unusable, is in greyscale, pixellated beyond belief and the process is incredibly slow.

Works absolutely fine in Photoshop Elements.

Can anyone advise please.

Jack.

It's fine. So is the Overview view in Photos.

I tried to upload the scanned image, both from Photos and Elements but the upload failed, although its still saying they have a size.

How do you delete an attachment?

Jack

Archive.zip

The zip file holds 2 JPGs, one is the image from Photos and the other from Elements. The pictures are upside down, I didn't correct it because I wanted, as far as possible to use the same scan options.

Regards one of my earlier complaints, the scan in Elements seem very slow as well, that issue could well be with the driver.

Jack

What I do in Windows (and I am sure you can do the same on a Mac) is to set Affinity Photo as the default program to open .jpg files (or .tiff or whatever). Then, when I save the scanned image from your scanner software as a .jpg,  Windows will automatically open the image in Photo.

I would be interested to hear if this works for you.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks for that, that would certainly work. But the facility is there to scan directly into Affinity which save time.

But it doesn't seem to work. In does in other image editing software which implies a bug in Photos.

Jack

3 hours ago, JackA said:

But the facility is there to scan directly into Affinity which save time.

If you have Photo allready open, then the extra time is just a few seconds, if that.

3 hours ago, JackA said:

But it doesn't seem to work. In does in other image editing software which implies a bug in Photos

When you say "it doesn't seem to work" do you mean the saved image  does not load into Affinity Photo, or that it loads, but that the image is flawed? I assume here that by 'Photos' you mean Affinity Photo and not Apple Photos.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

It scans into Affinity Photo but the result is useable. See my post further up with attachment Archive.sit. It has 2 images, one from Affinity and the other from Photoshop Elements, both using the same driver. The result from Affinity doesn't have even a remote resemblance to what it should look like.

Yes when I say Photos, I meant Affinity Photo. I don't use Apple Photos.

Jack

Looks like a problem with the aquire (image sharing/routing) functionality here. Thus you better save scanned images from the scanner software first and then afterwards open that image into APhoto.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@JackA, I cannot work out from your responses whether you have tried dedicated scanner software (I use VueScan) and loaded the saved image from this into Photo.

John

I have the driver software installed which Affinity Photo (and photoshop Elements) use to scan directly into the software.

I also have Epson's own scan utility which works fine and I can load the output from that into Affinity or any other image editing software. Yes, that is perfectly possibly. My point was that there seems to be a bug in Affinity which prevents it acquiring the image correctly. Such a bug should be addressed. I raised this on the Forum as there seems to be no other way of reporting bugs, or potential bugs.

Jack

1 hour ago, JackA said:

Such a bug should be addressed. I raised this on the Forum as there seems to be no other way of reporting bugs, or potential bugs.

You can create a post (bug report) in this forum section about the issues ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 years later...