You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pencil tool suddenly just stops working

maco

Hello,

Whenever i switch back to pencil tool, the first stroke will always bug out and will stop the stroke. It’s quite annoying since i have to undo every time else it’ll leave a single vector on my artboard. I think it has something to do with the window stabilizer option of pencil tool since the bug doesn’t exist on other types of stabilizers. I’ve attached a video of the replication steps.

I use ipad pro 11”, affinity designer 1.7.1.1, i hope that helps

regards,

maco

• Staff

Hi Maco,

I've just been trying this myself and have been unable to reproduce it. Are you using your finger, Apple Pencil 2 or another device to draw on screen? Also what size document are you using and what is your Window value set to?

Hi Sean,

Thanks for confirming. To answer your questions:

Are you using your finger, Apple Pencil 2 or another device to draw on screen?

I am using the apple pencil... not sure if it's a 2 tho. It's the magnetic type pencil that attaches to the side of the device. *shrug* I don't have any other accessories besides the pencil.

Also what size document are you using and what is your Window value set to?

W: 834.0pt, H: 1194.0pt, 144DPI

If there's anything notable;

• I disabled touch before and then left it to gesture only since sometimes it registers my pinky touching the screen
    • but turned it back on recently
    • I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing the bug before I turned it back on

• I toyed around with the pencil double tap options too, switched some tools around
    • Took me a while to realize that double tap context changes depending on the tool you use(?)
    • By then I've already changed a lot, I think, I wasn't sure what's default so I left things as is
    • I set the pencil tool to "zoom to fit" as double tap action
    • Other than that I can't remember anything else I changed

• After reviewing the bug, since I think I'm the only one experiencing it;
    • It's a persistent replicable bug on pencil tool
    • Replicated it on brush tool as well... the same replication steps
    • First stroke after switching back, has to be on window stabiliser (25 window value, but still happens at any value)
    • Replicated on node tool, it doesn't make the marquee square on the first stroke (regardless if pencil or finger) but will select something at least
    • Replicated on move tool, the same experience as node tool (not in the video)
    • Replicated on shape tool, it doesn't show the shape on the first stroke but will create a shape on release (not included in the video attached but it's replicable 90% of the time)

See video below... I hope you can help figure this out since I think I opened a whole new can of worms. I think there's more, but that'll be for another thread I guess...

Edited by maco

Even without the stabiliser the pencil tool just simply bugs out.

• No stabiliser; it doesn't show the stroke until on release. On release, It then calculates a random curve from origin to end.
  • Rope stabiliser; it doesn't show the stroke until on release. On release, it just creates a straight line from origin to end.
  • Window stabiliser, the trail stops on the first few nudge from origin. On release, it creates a vector point.
  • I'm not even switching tools anymore, just tapping the pencil tool again triggers the bug (sometimes it doesn't, like 90% of the time idk)

I think the thread should be bug on first strike since it's everywhere, maybe not just the tools, I haven't tested out... Maybe other inconveniences I'm experiencing in the app is also a bug and not just a normal thing as intended. I wish there's some kind of reset to defaults (maybe reinstalling would help no?) but I'm willing to help you guys out maybe until this is figured out?

In the video I'm playing around with the bug on different stabiliser types on the pencil tool...

Edited by maco
grammar

11 hours ago, maco said:

I wish there's some kind of reset to defaults 

DC1267E6-CBDD-45F3-87F7-463B3C25B1A3.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

That's really strange! I've been trying for a while and just cannot reproduce this behaviour. The Magnetic Pencil is indeed the Apple Pencil 2 (or more correctly 2nd Generation).

Would you be able to post some screenshots of each section of the Preferences dialog? Have you tried to see if this happens when the iPad is on a table with only the pencil touching it? Want to make sure there is nothing else interfering with the touching on the iPad. Also make sure that the nib of the Apple Pencil is screwed all the way in and isn't loose.

• Staff

Hi maco,

I've spoken to development about this and they've suggested that this could be an issue on the iPad models without the home button. The side of the screen detection can go wrong and cause the behaviour you are seeing. They've said they also find that scrolling in Safari deteriorates as well! Restarting the iPad should correct the behaviour for the time being - let me know if that does the trick!

Thanks

2 hours ago, Sean P said:

Would you be able to post some screenshots of each section of the Preferences dialog? 

Sure, i’ll attach them.

Have you tried to see if this happens when the iPad is on a table with only the pencil touching it?

This brings some new realization into the bug. Regardless whether the iPad is flat on the table or not, the bug doesn’t happen when i only use the pen to switch tools. When i use my fingers to change tools, the first stroke bug happens.

Also make sure that the nib of the Apple Pencil is screwed all the way in and isn't loose.

Huh, never knew you can screw this loose, but yeah, the nib seems pretty screwed in place.

28 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Restarting the iPad should correct the behaviour for the time being

I’ll try this out. I haven’t turned off the iPad in since i got it. 

CB730F19-8E7F-4BE5-AB84-04257FF37656.png

8F321790-D971-41BC-9AA2-9994B71E6166.png

C9629C2E-5AA5-4116-8152-66B30288003A.png

BA333F5E-DA37-4E66-AE1F-4C90B9CEE48B.png

401DF61C-5210-43C8-9277-3A1B4754BF90.png