You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 little improvement wishes for type setting work - publisher

Hi,

After working with publisher for a while I found 3 little things in camparison to Indesign, which would make type setting work easier und faster ... maybe such wishes could be considered for a later update version? Thanks in advance for noticing it.

1. In text mode, if the blinking cursor is on the text frame (e.g. left of the first letter or on first space in an empty line), it is almost invisible (depending on the zoom level). Comparing to Indesign, their cursor has more width (or the outline of text frame is thinner). The blinking cursor should be made more visible ...

2. I'm using the keys Alt+PgDwn and Alt+PgUp to move through the pages. Unfortunatly it needs a click by click to switch a page ahead or back. If an automatic scroll through all the pages would be possible, while just staying on the keys Alt-PgDwn etc., this would be very helpfull especially for large documents (imaging a 200-500 pages document!).

3. A great speed up in workflow would be: holding the Alt-key while in Textmode (T-text tool ON) the handtool should be ON temporarily (means dragging around the page or spread on the screen).

1 hour ago, design punch said:

3. A great speed up in workflow would be: holding the Alt-key while in Textmode (T-text tool ON) the handtool should be ON temporarily (means dragging around the page or spread on the screen).

Hello @design punch,

I like your suggestions. Regarding #3 my suggestion is not the same and not as quick as yours but perhaps worth a try: while in Textmode hit ESC and then hold the SPACEBAR to switch to the hand tool. This way you can drag around the page. After that release the spacebar and click once to be back in Textmode.

It takes a little practice but is not so many keypresses more :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

3 hours ago, dominik said:

Regarding #3 my suggestion is not the same and not as quick as yours but perhaps worth a try: while in Textmode hit ESC and then hold the SPACEBAR to switch to the hand tool. This way you can drag around the page. After that release the spacebar and click once to be back in Textmode.

Instead of pressing ESC you  can also click outside the page and then press the spacebar to drag around the page.

5 hours ago, design punch said:

A great speed up in workflow would be: holding the Alt-key while in Textmode (T-text tool ON) the handtool should be ON temporarily (means dragging around the page or spread on the screen).

+1

In my opinion, there isn’t really a good alternative to implementing the Alt key for that purpose. :)

Hi again,

Speeding up solution:

the human mind is a somehow strange thing ... once it did something, it will continue to do the same thing again and again. So like the Alt-key feature .. after some hundreds books I made over the last 17 years .. its hard to change its behavior :). But nevetheless I found - for the time being - a maybe strange way to overcome the "problem" in a rather good fashion now.

Davinci Resolve (video editing) allows to move zoomed-in videos with the middle mouse button only. But my Wacom tablet doesn't have a middle mouse feature. I programmed the second Wacom key on the pen (commonly used for double click, which I do not use) as a middle mouse button for the Davinci Resolve application. So I am already being familar using dragging around in that way. Now I programmed this pen key for Publisher application with Esc+h.

A very interesting behavior: when being in the text mode, clicking once I'm getting the hand tool instantly and can drag the spread/page around,  clicking again I'm back instantly in text mode ... This is the fastest method at the moment ... only have to tell my mind: "remember it well ... not to forget, but forget the Alt-key-behavior, you bloody old punch!" xD