You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thanks Mark. Yes I know how to duplicate a layer. I want to duplicate the whole file. In PS you can duplicate the whole file on the screen apposed to going back to the orig file location outside of PS, simply by right clicking on the image header and choosing duplicate. There must be a way of doing this easily as it is a very handy thing in PS.

• Staff

Hi William Fox Talbot,

Welcome to the forums :)

Going to File > Save As twice and choosing different file names each time will give you 2 copies of the file. Other than this method there isn't a duplicate feature that works as the one you described. You could also copy the entire files layer contents then go to File > New from Clipboard.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

2 hours ago, William Fox Talbot said:

As I have come over from PS I can not for the life of me work out how to duplicate a file (image) once open EG: Say you wanted to experiment with a image but don't want to destroy the orig. On the main screen on PS you just right click on the image bar and make a copy. So how do you do it in AP? 

Easiest way is to duplicate it in the Mac OS Finder or Windows OS Explorer before opening. The method you are used to using is unavailable in Affinity Photo. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

As @Callum said, given a single layer, then Copy followed by File > New from Clipboard would seem to be your ideal solution.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

20 hours ago, John Rostron said:

given a single layer, then Copy followed by File > New from Clipboard

That even works with multiple layers. Just select them all, Copy, and New from Clipboard.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1