You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to open files in Publisher - just crashes

I've been working on a book project in Publisher, and all was going well until today.  Now I cannot open any of my files!  )-:

- When I try to open a file, Publisher starts for about 30 seconds, then just stops without giving any error message
 - I've tried restoring backup files from Time Machine. When I try to restore into a new location (e.g. desktop), I get this error dialog (attached), and the restore does not happen
 - When I try restoring on top of another file with the same name, I get the apple dialog asking if I want to overwrite.  I can choose "keep both".  In this case, I get the same error dialog, but also get the backup file restored.
 - However...  None of the backup files will work either!  They do the same exact thing - Publisher starts, then after about 30 seconds, it dies.
 - I've tried various backups and other files I've saved back as far as July 2.  For the 12 days from July 2 to today, everything was working fine.  But as of now, none of those files will open.
 - I tried deleting and reinstalling Publisher from a fresh download.  No joy - it won't run either.

I'm attaching the error dialog + the error report it asks me to send to Apple + a file from July 2 which used to be fine and now won't open.

Please help!  I can't lose weeks of work on this project.  How can I get things to work again??

Thanks for your assistance.  

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 6.53.25 PM.png

Aff-Pub-crashrept-0714.txt

2_chapters_prelim_(7-02_315p).afpub

Hmm … you file opens perfectly on my Mac, apart from the missing resources, of course. According to

https://krypted.com/lists/comprehensive-list-of-mac-os-x-error-codes/

error code -1407 is Expected a folder, got a file. Hmm. I fear only the developers can help you with that. In the mean time, you could try my versions of your file. At any rate, you should be able to open the PDF in Publisher. Will they open? :)

Export.afpub.zip

Export.pdf

5 hours ago, Pauls said:

one way around this is to rename the folders containing linked content - then open the document and relink the images. In some cases if a file changes size e.g. by external editing this can cause this issue.

Hi Pauls -

Hallelujah!!  I've got my files back!  Now I can sleep again!  Thank you, thank you! (-:

Now going forward, it seems like the problem is that I edited some images outside of Publisher, using Affinity Photo.  I've done that before, and it was fine, but this time it caused Publisher to shut down, perhaps because of a size change.  

I use the same images in the print book (via Publisher) and also for an ebook and website (both outside of Publisher).  So I was planning to do layout work in Publisher, then go back & fix up images in Photo, then incorporate final photos in all platforms.  If this is going to crash Publisher, I need a new workflow.  What is the recommended way around this problem?  

Thanks again!!!   -  Deanna.

• Staff

The fix for this issue is in the latest beta - you can check that out.

I would layout out using embedded images make any tweaks then come back and link the images. Having the images in an easy to manipulate folder structure would give you a quick get out of jail escape route

On 7/16/2019 at 1:47 AM, Pauls said:

The fix for this issue is in the latest beta - you can check that out.

I would layout out using embedded images make any tweaks then come back and link the images. Having the images in an easy to manipulate folder structure would give you a quick get out of jail escape route

Excellent.  Thanks so much!  :)

I have the same problem with beta .422 on Mac. Goes good for awhile then problem, even with backups.

hoping to at least get to the point to get all files embedded and book document done. Then do final graphic edits. Loosing a lot of time trying to get things working.