You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refine selection has stopped working

I have a file with red ink splash on a white background. I've selected the red splash using "select sampled color". I get a good selection and can create a mask if I want to, but I want to refine the selection more first. I click "refine", a feature I've used a lot before, but it does absolutely nothing. It loads for a while but I don't get an overlay (none of the other display options work either). I can use the matte brush all I want but it doesn't do anything either. The feature seems completely broken.

Any ideas?

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 on macOs 10.14.5

Edit 1: It seems to work if I select the ink splash with the quick select brush instead. A problem with the selection from sampled color maybe? Definitely seems like a bug to me though.

Skärmavbild 2019-07-14 kl. 20.45.18.png

Skärmavbild 2019-07-14 kl. 20.44.36.png

Using select sampled colour, it's working fine for me but it's incredibly easy to select all the white area but it looks like the red area is selected

If you do this then you will get exactly what you have described with no visible red overlay

To be honest if I wanted to select just the red in this photo, I would use select sampled colour to select the white area then use Select > Invert Pixel Selection which will then just select the red.  If I do this then I get the red overlay when I do the Refine.

If you are still having trouble uploading a video may help understand what is going on but for me it works correctly

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Using select sampled colour, it's working fine for me but it's incredibly easy to select all the white area but it looks like the red area is selected

If you do this then you will get exactly what you have described with no visible red overlay

To be honest if I wanted to select just the red in this photo, I would use select sampled colour to select the white area then use Select > Invert Pixel Selection which will then just select the red.  If I do this then I get the red overlay when I do the Refine.

If you are still having trouble uploading a video may help understand what is going on but for me it works correctly

For me, nothing gets selected, regardless of whether I select the white or the red. For example, if I go to refine and use the against black view, I get a completely black screen.

• Staff

Hi Andy900,
This is probably caused by the Matte Edges option in the Refine dialog. If you disable it you should see the overlay. The problem is the selection is probably semi-transparent/affects edge detection. Create a mask from the selection before entering the Refine dialog and check the mask (click and hold alt and press the mask's thumbnail to display it in black and white). Attaching the original file as Chris requested would help. It's possible something isn't working as it should.

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Andy900,
This is probably caused by the Matte Edges option in the Refine dialog. If you disable it you should see the overlay. The problem is the selection is probably semi-transparent/affects edge detection. Create a mask from the selection before entering the Refine dialog and check the mask (click and hold alt and press the mask's thumbnail to display it in black and white). Attaching the original file as Chris requested would help. It's possible something isn't working as it should.

I suspect you're right.

7 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Andy900,

Here's a clear example by the way. I tried the green grass to see if there's a difference but I'm getting the same problem. I could make a mask first and then go to refine, but I still can't use matte edges (and can't use the matte brush - like I want to).

Channel Mask A (kopia).afphoto