You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

From Out of The Darkness

Hi, 

Prompted by a few comments about Affinity not being any good for raw development, not handling shadows well and raw files opening too dark. I set myself a challenge to process a very dark heavily under exposed image shot at night, (yes it was intentional :)) without the usual processing methods of shadow recovery, curves adjustments, plugins, cloning/inpainting or noise reduction. 

If there is a bit of interest in how I did this then I will happily put a PDF of step by step instructions together. I took plenty of screenshots showing the steps & settings.

The before & after results are attached, the first time I processed this image I used more conventional methods.

Some of the steps taken might be of interest for some of you. 

From Out Of The Darkness.png

Hi @Murfee 

I was just looking around and came across this. Would be interested in learning more about your approach.

I am working on implementing a zone editing workflow in photo on ipad and cant seem to find a way to either save my curves with my zone adjustments applied to them to re-use. In PS I can actually save them as a LUT and apply in raw. Wish photo had this maybe it does?

Thanks for anything you can share about your technique.

-Jim

On 7/14/2019 at 5:14 PM, 3DJ said:

I am working on implementing a zone editing workflow in photo on ipad and cant seem to find a way to either save my curves with my zone adjustments applied to them to re-use. In PS I can actually save them as a LUT and apply in raw. Wish photo had this maybe it does?

Hi Jim, thanks for taking an interest, I will get a PDF put together. 

You can save your curve adjustments as presets to reuse, I don’t use Photo on the iPad very much so not sure how to save LUTs from a series of adjustments. You can load any LUTs that you already have, maybe then you need to save a LUT preset.

To save your curve, there is a small + above Add Preset on the right side of the bottom tool panel of the adjustment layer, of you touch this and give it a name it will save the current settings for you. To reuse a curve select the adjustment studio scroll to curves and you will now see your presets.

32349D68-7608-4B7B-AFD2-BE931B95A0E0.png

@Murfee Thanks! I over looked that completely! This gives me what I needed- plus I need to look into the LUT for photo- Just haven’t dived real deep yet, even if I have to set them up on desktop and bring over to ipad is something I would do.

Thanks again.

-Jim