You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Affinity Photo with Apple Photos app

I have the exact same problem, just now!

I did find the temporary location where Photos saves the images while being externally edited, it is called ExternalEditSessions (you can find this using the "show in Finder" menu option while in AffinityPhoto). But Photos seems to purge this folder once you have closed the external app.

I tested it with Preview.app, in this case it seems to work but it is very slow. After saving and closing the edited image in Preview, I have to sit back and wait for maybe 15 seconds or 1/2 minute until Photos shows the updated image.

With Affinity Photo, Photos seems to just delete the file without reading it in...

I found 2 threads with that problem:

Very disappointing. People seem to just accept that your data is lost if you use this functionality???

The method suggested as a workaround is to enter edit mode in Photos, then press the three dots button (where AffinityPhoto has added a few options for applying filters) and choose "Edit with Affinity Photo" near the end of the list. For me, the filters do work, but when I choose "edit with AP", it says "AP cannot be launched, please press Cancel".

Can anyone from Affinity say something about this?

17 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi p10n,
We are aware the Edit With > Affinity Photo isn't working. This issue is logged to be looked at. The extension however should work correctly. Have you renamed or moved Affinity Photo from the root of the Applications folder to somewhere else?

Hi MEB, thanks - glad you are looking at it! (I lost quite some time of image editing, having relied on a workflow that is suggested by a menu item.)

Yes, I keep all graphics programs in a subfolder of the Applications folder. I am used to grouping my apps in subfolders...

Yes, if AP is in the root of the Applications folder, then the extension works! Thanks MEB, this provides a working solution.

(I guess you will also work to remove this limitation at some point in the future? I do understand that related to the "Edit with" problem, this is a minor issue.)

I have this same problem.  My "Affinity Photo" app is in the Applications folder. When I am in Photos I select a photo, then Image | Edit With | Affinity Photo.  It then loads into Affinity Photo just fine, I make all my adjustments, but no matter what I do I cannot get the end result echo'd back into Photos.

17 hours ago, bjurasz said:

I have this same problem.  My "Affinity Photo" app is in the Applications folder. When I am in Photos I select a photo, then Image | Edit With | Affinity Photo.  It then loads into Affinity Photo just fine, I make all my adjustments, but no matter what I do I cannot get the end result echo'd back into Photos.

I suppose this is a HEIC photo i.e. one taken with a current iPhone/iPad?

• Staff

Hi bjurasz,
As explained above this is a known issue that's already logged /with the dev team to be looked at. Meanwhile instead of using that command do the following: In Apple Photos, double-click the thumbnail of the photo to display it, click the Edit button in the top right corner of the interface (you should switch to the - dark - edit interface, click the ellipsis button on the top right and select Edit in Affinity Photo extension. Proceed with the edits as you usually do in Affinity Photo. The changes will be saved back to Apple Photos if you use this process until we fix the Edit With > Affinity Photo command.

• Staff

Hi John Fleet,
This is what I mean with "dark/edit interface". Note that if you are using the dark interface in Mojave then you will not see the switch/difference. The screenshots below were taken using the Mojave's light interface: the edit window in Apple Photos is always dark no matter the interface setting you have set for macOS Mojave.

apple_photos_dark_edit_interface.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2019 at 12:37 PM, MEB said:

The changes will be saved back to Apple Photos if you use this process until we fix the Edit With > Affinity Photo command.

Not with Catalina they aren't. I get "Unable to save changes for edit in Affinity Photo". I know Catalina is in Beta but it's worth letting you know, although you probably already do!

• 7 months later...

This issue still doesn't seem to be fixed 😥could we have a response from Affinity as to when we might expect this functionality to be restored? In principle Apple Photos and Affinity Photo should be a marriage made in heaven but it's bloomin' frustrating to do a load of edits in Affinity Photo only to bet the errror occurredd message! It's nearly a year since I first posted and we are actually worse off now than a year ago as Affinity Photo seems to load the original image not the edited on from Photos...

It doesn’t matter how many videos you post demonstrating the broken process, at best, you get it works for some, not all.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection