You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity: Replace a neighbouring colour area with transparent

Here is a blue tit.

I would like to divert it and make the green background transparent. GIMP and Photofitre allow us to select a zone of neighbouring colors and replace it with transparent. We can see from the video that it’s not quite perfect, and sometimes we have to adjust the threshold.

How to proceed in Affinity? Which software?

mesange-bleue-1-055106.jpg

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Oh yes ! It is much simpler. Thanks Pixelpest.

How to get the option: Refine?

affinity-flood-02.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

The Selection Brush Tool will do a better job on this task, use the Selection Brush Tool to make a selection of the bird and branch

(It's a relatively easy selection as the background pixels are out-of-focus)

Refine the selection via the Refine button then set Output to new layer and click apply.  This will then give you the transparent background you want

You can then add a new background at the bottom of the Layer's stack comprising of whatever you want.

bird.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Click on "Refine" to get to the additional options. ;)

There is no ‘Refine’ button on the Context toolbar in @Pyanepsion’s screenshot! Hence the question about how to get that option.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The translation of the French version sometimes differs from the original English term.

For example, "Flood selection tool" is translated as "Outil Sélection par dispersion"" (Dispersion Selection Tool).

A screen copy would be welcome to find out how to add the "Refine" button: see the difference enter the English and French screenshots above.

9 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

A screen copy would be welcome to find out how to add the "Refine" button: see the difference enter between the English and French screenshots above.

Try @carl123’s suggestion of using the Smart Selection Brush Tool (Outil pinceau de sélection intelligente).

However, I’d still like to know why you don’t get a ‘Refine’ button for the Flood Selection Tool!

Alfred spacer.png

19 minutes ago, carl123 said:

The Selection Brush Tool will do a better job on this task

I just was trying to find the equivalent tool like in GIMP.

The Selection Brush tool should offer also the "Refine" button. Is it there?

2 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I just was trying to find the equivalent tool like in GIMP.

The Selection Brush tool should offer also the "Refine" button. Is it there?

27 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Click on "Refine" to get to the additional options. ;)

17 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There is no ‘Refine’ button on the Context toolbar in @Pyanepsion’s screenshot! Hence the question about how to get that option.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

However, I’d still like to know why you don’t get a ‘Refine’ button for the Flood Selection Tool! 

The Flood Selection Tool does not have a Refine button (on Windows at least)

Though you can invoke it by switching to any of the other selection tools that do have it, after using the Flood Selection Tool

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It only took a few seconds to replace the green blurred background with seeds !

Of course, for the result to be less rude, it would have been necessary to spend a little more time and to take a less wide brush (here flood 7 px, and selection brush 8 px). My graphic designer was right to have me known Affinity (yet it is a fan of Adobe softwares).

mesange-bleue-2.png

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

The Flood Selection Tool does not have a Refine button (on Windows at least)

Though you can invoke it by switching to any of the other selection tools that do have it, after using the Flood Selection Tool

After a bit of research it looks like the Refine button was added to the Flood Select Tool in January this year on MACS but not on Windows.

Also, you can access the Refine screen by using Layer > Refine Edges (CTRL+ALT+R)