You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lr5 > Affinity Photo > image locked >Win10

When opening a DNG as a Tiff from lr5 to Ap the image cannot be moved when the 'hand' is clicked or  via spacebar +drag  
The only fix is close > reopen from Lr as an original tiff 
been happening for a while --- maybe after downloading the latest version (??)

Problem does not happen every time  --- Other actions/tools seem to be effect as well but nothing I can say 'all the time' 

On a totally  different subject regarding space bar on the new external Dell keyboard  --- when I hit the spacebar I get a page down action (??) 
Could be how the dell keyboard is set or I have done something myself (??) 
Any directions or thoughts would be appreciated 

Thanks for reading
Cheers all 

• Staff

Hi ianrb,

We don't have access to Lr5 here in Support and only have access to the CC version, which doesn't allow me to set an external editor.  So i don't think we will be of much help here.  However, from memory Lr5 does allow you to change the format the image is sent to the external editor as, have you tried the different options it offers in Preferences?

Is that in the Affinity apps that spacebar is moving the page down?   It's common for the spacebar to used by internet browsers and some apps as a page down.  Happens to me in my browser but in the Affinity apps.  

Thanks for the reply stokerg.  So obviously it is not a problem for everyone or anyone  --- just my luck :)
I will try to find some sort of pattern, rhyme, or reason get let you know ---- drove me crazy yesterday and I still cannot work out if it's Lr5 or Ap or both but it's only a recent drama --- using psd made no difference 

Another one>>  with "notify me of replies" ticked, I still never received notification emails  

Cheers

After a few very frustrating days of opening/editing/closing/remaking macros/trying this with that and the other way/turning computer off-on off-one/typing out so of what I did; I have come up with one conclusion ; this problem is all Affinity photo

Even photos being edited  suddenly froze --- that is they could not be moved with the hand tool 
Photos exported from Lr to the edit folder >opened with Ap> edited >save>close> opened again froze 

Why redo macros ? Because my "start" macro put layers and adjustment layers in the wrong order when the photo had frozen --- when frozen it is still possible to do same editing like add macros . Sorry; screen prints have disappeared in the chaos 

ATM ; it's not worth the time just trying to use it.

Unless there are other options; the only fix I can think off is remove Ap from my computer, download, and start again :( . Sounding a lot like On1 days!! :61_sob:
I would assume I need to save/export macros and the likes --- any links on how to do that would be appreciated 
Cheers

The Acer laptop was reformatted ; however the "and restore" part was lost between the front desk and work desk --- Yep; one of those BIG O'**** moments
Gone back the old the older ASUS to sort everything out and then will decide which I keep using . The Acer was only purchased to run On1 that I don't use now I have Affinity --- On1 was an expensive exercise -- very expensive really 
Lightroom is; was the biggest worry but that is going better than expected considering the catalog back up were on the acer hard drive ---- all photos are on external hard drives :) 

All affinity's fault  of course --- you should have personally introduce me to the program before On1 popped up :1_grinning:
All fun and games :)

• 2 weeks later...

this is driving me nuts -- or nuttier 9_9 . Not really; but it's rather annoying -- does not happen every time a photo is opened ; doesn't seem to matter what sort of file [including new docs]  . There are no rules to which file is going to freeze or when it will freeze although when opening is the most common

General fix; that doesn't work every time, is turn Ap off > reload photo from Lr or open with Ap 

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

This is still a problem  without any rules or patterns to why it happens . Best fix is still turn off Ap before opening a new file; but even that does not work every time . I'm in no rush but a lot of time can be lost . Had not try this , so I just spent some time opening new Panasonic raw files with Ap >Develop > edit > photo . 1st one worked with no dramas; however the 2nd file froze when in photo . I really think that removes any connection to Lr5 .
An hour or so later and with more new files  but not in Lr5 ---  there does seem to be more problems when opening with Win10 than when opening with Ap 

What else can I tell or show you ? It's getting very frustrating 
BTW; I have remove Ap with revo uninstall, and download/reinstalled ---- added the last update after that 
:( Well that's that my morning gone 9_9

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Fixed :) with Au$1000 :( . Haven't had the problem since the new PC arrived 9_9
I'm totally over laptops for photo editing; even when using an external monitor, keyboard , and mouse (haven't been able to get the pen/tablet to work though . At the moment I have at least three rather powerful yet worn out laptops in the house.
Will get large tablet for when away from home 
As for Ap; never regretted the "investment"

Couple of recent images --- just to show off the little I know .

PA050014-2.jpg.fb57413aca7c250b61e7c4ffdffcdfa3.jpg

2137979271_Ranfurly191123.jpg.820fcd946580d90da945506e47f0f89a.jpg

Cheers

• 3 months later...

:( And the drama returns :(

(Started this around new year --- Now added more January 21 . Been putting up with the drama; but to be honest it is really starting to annoy me . )

Some upgrades added to the new Win 10 tower before the dramas returned. Upgrades included something (??) so Opengl worked --- needed to run On1 that I don't use ATM . The old bamboo pad/pen is now working --- wasn't before the upgrade.
Upgrade as I understand it : 1Tb SSD added . RAM boosted to 16 gb
I will add a SS and photos of the boxes from the update .
All above my head.

When the file is locked
files open/ can be edited with adjustment layers / resized/ resize canvas /add layers+fill/ most macros/ save selections/ open saved selections/ duplicate layers

Not working when the file is locked
Cropping/ Liquify/ inpaint/ paint brush [A curved brush goes in a straight line from start to finish points >hold the shift button with brush tool the effect always starts where the last finished .

Half working when locked
marquee tool does not show the marching ants when being drawn out .. marching ants appear when left button is released .

Any file can lock when opened with Lr5 adjustments , or original file , or as copy . JPEG and TIFF can lock . Even files opened /edited before can lock . Any file can lock during editing .

Opening another file from Lr5 will sometimes unlock the file . Closing / reopening a locked file sometimes works . Turning off Ap is often needed. Turning off computer sometimes needed .

As I type this there are now four locked files in Ap. Closed those files >reopen the iPhone6 files with no dramas at all !!

AP can also totally lock as various adjustments are added . Only fix is do a forced computer shut down . I need to start making notes; but there does not seem to be any obvious pattern .
There are times I haven't realised the file is lock until I try to move the file inside the window, or use the brush, inpainting and crop tools.

One good thing is all edits done can be saved back to Lr. Or in the case of a forced shut down; Ap will ask if I want to reopen the unsaved file . Great feature IMO even if the file number/name becomes ''untitled''

Well that's half a day gone – now a day ++ . No way I could be doing this rather expensive hobby as a job, and often wish I never moved from Lr5 /PSE12 /Nik/ ICE. Blaming Adobe for most of it!!

I can still not see any explainable pattern .
What else can I send you ?
I hope the above understandable and sorry for length --- I do find it had to explain when I don't understand any of it myself
Cheers

P1210001 w 2.jpg

P1210001 w 3.jpg

0500 hours -- to add to the frustration 
ORF >basic edits in Lr >sent TIFF to Ap "with adjustments" >fiddle with various manual mirroring ideas > not saved >decided to open the same ORF again with LR adjustments (nothing done in Lr since open the first file) >that second TIFF file froze AP ! > after 12 hours (night here) file and Ap are frozen /locked /or whatever you call it .
The image can be scrolled up /down >closed as normal >original mirrored tiff is still frozen >closed /saved as normal >opened another copy of the ORF without any problems >opened the first TIFF again as "original" without problem . Ap was not turned off 

Now I have the new and the older file working but have forgotten the idea /reason I wanted the second image :S  :D

No problems with this "light at the end of the LR-AP tunnel" photo >> Ap edited  >saved >reopened with Lr adjustments >edited > placed > perspective + warp tools > saved > opened with Lr adjustments (?? why ??) . 

2020-01-0280-1-1 w.jpg

2020-01-0280 w.jpg

There are lots of things that could cause intermittent behaviour, AV software, scheduled tasks, "waiting for apps" that just sit there waiting for something to happen, erroneous memory, faults on the HDD, HDD need defragging?, running a CHKDSK C: probably wouldn't hurt, and maybe even a SFC /scannow from Command Prompt, all to eliminate possible issues.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 1/22/2020 at 10:41 AM, firstdefence said:

There are lots of things that could cause intermittent behaviour, 

Thanks for thinking about it and the comment which explained my total frustration 
(this was the last line) . Stopped typing for a while to try sometime that was one reason I had to buy the Acer laptop ---- run Opengl to run On1 . And openGl will not run on this computer . Brilliant !!!
That might be it in round about way 

The bigger problem is two programs are involved and they seem to be linked in some way to cause the problem .
No one else is having the problem and I certainly don't point the finger at Ap only . I will not be surprised if the problem has more to do with Lr5. 
>> What might have changed because of the upgrades ? 
Remember there were no problems when the tower was first used . However the problem was present when using to older Acer Laptop  and was one of the reasons I decided to purchase a new tower . 

Can you add the computer model numbers, it seems odd that a newish laptop will not run OpenGL, this is a list of all hardware that can utilise OpenGL: https://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products#opengl

Is your hardware in the list, i.e. GPU, Integrated GPU, CPU etc.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 1/23/2020 at 7:16 PM, firstdefence said:

Can you add the computer model numbers, it seems odd that a newish laptop will not run OpenGL, this is a list of all hardware that can utilise OpenGL: https://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products#opengl

Sorry for the delay in replying . 
Briefly ---Not a new laptop but locally built ''old fashion'' tower --- late 2019  --- Au$1,500 tower only 
Spoke to the person who put it together and he told me I have no need for OpenGl --- when I tested On1 it worked . No idea why the oldish wacom bamboo didn't work before the upgrade  but does now (??)

I have a feeling something has changed in Lr5 but cannot understand why the image freezers after some edits have been done with Ap .

All very much like the rattle in the car that doesn't rattle when paying someone to find the rattle .:4_joy: >>  :61_sob: . :)

4 hours ago, ianrb said:

Sorry for the delay in replying . 
Briefly ---Not a new laptop but locally built ''old fashion'' tower --- late 2019  --- Au$1,500 tower only 
Spoke to the person who put it together and he told me I have no need for OpenGl --- when I tested On1 it worked . No idea why the oldish wacom bamboo didn't work before the upgrade  but does now (??)

I have a feeling something has changed in Lr5 but cannot understand why the image freezers after some edits have been done with Ap .

All very much like the rattle in the car that doesn't rattle when paying someone to find the rattle .:4_joy: >>  :61_sob: . :)

Very true, intermittent glitches are a pain.

9 hours ago, ianrb said:

very much like the rattle in the car that doesn't rattle when paying someone to find the rattle .:4_joy: >>  :61_sob: . :)

Back in olden times pranksters would put a stone/marble/nut in a hubcap (remember those?). Rattles when you drive but is silent when you are idleing/gunning the engine in the shop.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 1/23/2020 at 7:16 PM, firstdefence said:

Is  this the information you need ?
Where /how do I find more if needed ?
I need something to take to the tech bloke . 
It's all getting a bit too frustrating --- perspective /warp seems to cause a lock ups ; occasionally  
Ap has locked up with no file open .
Opened a file >did lots of editing >locked up >closed >opened again via original button >locked on opening >closed /reopen again as before with no (more) problems 
Do I mention the day I fiddled around with a number of various files and never had a problem all day :) 

OpenGL is out of the equation -- I don't need it :)

Cheers and thanks for your time 

On 1/26/2020 at 12:05 AM, Old Bruce said:

Back in olden times pranksters would put a stone/marble/nut in a hubcap (remember those?). Rattles when you drive but is silent when you are idleing/gunning the engine in the shop.

like my brother chaining and locking a large cowbell to the axle of our very new brother in law's car :)

• 4 months later...

bit of an update to this continuing problem 
Was also mentioned on facebook by another user
Still happening from time to time with no consistency, however the Ap is now freezing if a file or files are left open overnight --- the app needs to be closed and reopened
Close file >open recent file usually solves the problem if app freezes when a file is opened .
Cheers; and keep safe up there .