You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've worked with many programs over 30+ years.  I bought Affinity Photo based on many good reviews.   

However, the capability to add text to an image is so convoluted that after 6 hours of research I still don't know how to add text to an image.  

Please add a simple add text to an image function - one button very easy and simple to find: perhaps under text drop down (which currently has options that are mostly greyed out) - drag a text box - type text  - highlight text to change font, size, color, orientation, etc. 

I am very very disappointed at how difficult it is to add text AND there is nothing in help files NOR is there a way to contact tech support. 

6 hours ago, TPatrick said:

there is nothing in help files

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Text/text_general.html

6 hours ago, TPatrick said:

I bought Affinity Photo

Why do you request Affinity Designer?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

What is affinity designer?

I am on - I thought the affinity developer - suggestions for improvement discussion.

WHERE do I find the text tool?

This is day two and approaching 10 hours unsuccessfully trying  type "Congratulations!" on  wedding photo.

The photo is open.  Along the top  clicking on the "Text" drop down - most options are greyed out, the options that are not greyed out do not seem to do anything.

How do I insert text on a photo.

For the affinity developers suggestion discussion  there really needs to be an insert text button. 

9 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Just now, TPatrick said:

15 hours ago, Arceom said:

Don't know if I understood your question, but have your tried the text tool?

image.thumb.png.fb475c98c0e615ce730e507d252a16bd.png

There is no A on my tool bar and when I go across the top to "Text" most options are greyed out - the others seem to do nothing.   How do I get the "A" . ?

1 hour ago, TPatrick said:

I am on - I thought the affinity developer - suggestions for improvement discussion.

You posted in the forum named "Feedback for Affinity Designer on Desktop".

There is a similar forum for Affinity Photo that you would use to request enhancements to Affinity Photo.

Ideally, though, you would have started by asking a question, or using the Help function built-in to Photo. For example, searching in the Help for "text" (without the " marks) would have lead to the Frame Text (online version), or the Artistic Text (online version) documentation and a number of other text-related topics.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/14/2019 at 2:22 PM, TPatrick said:

There is no "A" on my too; bar.  At the top under the "Text" drop down most items are greyed out and there is no "A" or anything that says Text tool.  

There are two text tools: the "frame text" tool has an icon which is a shape with a "T" in it, and the "artistic text" tool (which I think is what you are looking for here) has the icon with an "A".

They occupy the same position among the tools in Photo so you need to press and hold the mouse button on the icon for either one for a moment and a menu should pop up allowing selection of the other one.

Also, make sure you are in the Photo persona and not the Develop persona (or other persona) as the text tools are only in the Photo persona.  Those are the leftmost icons on the main toolbar (the Photo persona has the same icon as the application itself).

If neither one is there, then the information @Arceom provided on how to customize the tools may be relevant.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

If neither one is there, then the information @Arceom provided on how to customize the tools may be relevant.

In particular, the ‘Number of Columns’ control (not actually highlighted in the screenshot) will be relevant if you don’t have sufficient screen height to see all of the tools. Try changing the value to 2.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I can (accidently) remove the text tool without being a troll. Here is how to get it back.

text-tool.jpg

text-tool2.jpg

text-tool3.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 7/14/2019 at 2:16 PM, TPatrick said:

I am on - I thought the affinity developer

There are currently three programs in the Affinity suite - Photo, Designer and Publisher.

You are asking about Photo, but you posted this in a section of the forum that is intended for discussing Designer.

A moderator might move this to the appropriate place when they take notice.

That said, this particular feature works the same way in all three applications in the Affinity suite.