You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't Select Artboard with Artboard Tool

Hi

The Affinity Designer manual states that:

To select artboards:

Do one of the following:

• With the Artboard Tool selected, click an artboard.
  • On the Layers panel, select an artboard entry.
  • With the Move Tool selected, do one of the following:
    • Click on an artboard's label.
    • Click on any empty artboard.

However, when I select the Artboard tool then click the artboard, it jumps to the selection tool and selects the object at the cursor position. I can't find a way to make it select the Artboard, which I want to resize.

Also, I see no Artboards lister in the Layers panel - what is an "artboard entry" here?

My document only has one artboard (I assume an artboard is created automatically on New Document?) - does any of the above still apply, or must I have multiple artboards to use these methods? I hope not because artboard resizing in a single artboard document is a frequent operation for me.

What am I missing here? I'm using the latest release of Affinity Designer 1.7 on Windows 7. I'm used to the Adobe Illustrator implementation of artboards, and wondering if Affinity does it differently.

Thanks!
Richard

3 hours ago, craftycurate said:

(I assume an artboard is created automatically on New Document?)

No, they are created only if you tick the "Create Artboard" checkbox in the New Document window or use the Artboard Tool to create one in an existing document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, craftycurate said:

My document only has one artboard (I assume an artboard is created automatically on New Document?) 

If you did not tell Designer to create an Artboard, you have a document with a Canvas instead.

The Canvas starts out blank, just as in the real world when you're a painter, with no layers defined. An Artboard is in many ways similar to a Canvas, but in some ways different, and you can have many of them in your document. The Help for Artboards describes some of the differences.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1