Every few months I return to Affinity Designer to try to make the switch. Will we ever get direct line width control at nodes that is available in Illustrator? The moment I run into a task that requires this, I have to ditch my switch.  Some tasks seem impossible without it. The slider isn't cutting it.

1+ for the Illustrat or "width tool". its a wonderful tool to help designing all kinds of swirls and florals. (its also great for designing brushes)

width-tool.png.f61b0a0ab50941416db892daf282429d.png  LineWidthHDR.jpg.9059686c45756b0e646541de9c9c39c9.jpg   RULDC.png.713637f184e8fd3c93cf4ec852893b48.png

24 minutes ago, Glicky said:

1+ for the Illustrat or "width tool". its a wonderful tool to help designing all kinds of swirls and florals. (its also great for designing brushes)

width-tool.png.f61b0a0ab50941416db892daf282429d.png  LineWidthHDR.jpg.9059686c45756b0e646541de9c9c39c9.jpg   RULDC.png.713637f184e8fd3c93cf4ec852893b48.png

Do you guys mean @Glicky and @Graphics that this is not an Affinity possibility?

Whatˋs this in Designer then (compare to Illustrator)?

C343FC28-562B-4B48-98F4-A6BA9A57774B.png

12 minutes ago, Glicky said:

Is this also possible in ADesigner?

Capture.thumb.PNG.65d8361f3cc73bbd3230462486475b26.PNG

Why asking? Do you not own Designer yourself so you can test this?

My feeling was that you are have opinions on this software so a thought you have it...

As I can see it you can also do what you shown here (I’m away just now from iPad/iMac/Win-laptop so I can’t confirm)... 

1 hour ago, Glicky said:

You are right ErrkaPetti. i simply never recognized how powerful the "pressure" feature is... (after your upper reply, i even didn't think to check it out ;) )

Thanks!

Capture.PNG.25af9528979961abfcf483651267e73f.PNG

Yeah, superfun to use!

on my iPad Pro it may be more easy to have the settings right though...

This is how many users requesting features that already exist, or, pretty easy to make workarounds...

Posted (edited)

I checked up on this topic and was happy to see some replies. I've used the pressure feature to try to emulate the control that the line width tool gives but am not satisfied. I think the main issue is that it is essentially creating another set of arbitrary nodes that are distributed along the line, but that cannot be seen directly or manipulated exactly where you want them. I think a graph is a clunky way to implement the feature of thickening a line. In Affinity it seems that if you want a part of a stroke thickened you need to estimate what precent along the stroke the area is, then go to the pressure graph and try raise a point at an equivalent precent distance along that graph. Why make it so hard? Sometimes I have a corner node I want thickened, not just before the node, or an estimate of almost the node. Problem compounds when paths have many nodes

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 3.04.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 2.58.22 PM.png

Edited by Graphics
images

On 8/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, Graphics said:

I think a graph is a clunky way to implement the feature of thickening a line.

Totally with you on this. Precision on a graph about the size of two fingernails (iPad Pro 10.5) is very difficult, especially with longer strokes and multiple nodes. I do hope serif introduce another solution that gives direct control of the stroke with the power of zoom to aid precision (like the tool in adobe illustrator).

Every time I have to touch that ruddy graph in affinity I question my decision to cancel my CC subscription. Seems silly, I know.

edit: Don’t get me wrong, I love the affinity range and I forget all about AI when I’m done with the pressure graph. So thank you serif for everything else!

+1

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

On 7/26/2019 at 2:08 PM, Glicky said:

i simply never recognized how powerful the "pressure" feature is... 

Indeed powerful. In this example each object is 1 curve only, no fill, shaped & colored with Stroke & Pressure & Appearance panel only:

1262055003_strokepressureappearance1.thumb.jpg.3bde94f56c52150845825800343d4b8b.jpg

96474448_strokepressureappearance2.thumb.jpg.5b1baef81e92dbf3b72daa3465dee69d.jpg

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

On 10/8/2019 at 8:37 AM, spez said:

Totally with you on this. Precision on a graph about the size of two fingernails (iPad Pro 10.5) is very difficult, especially with longer strokes and multiple nodes. I do hope serif introduce another solution that gives direct control of the stroke with the power of zoom to aid precision (like the tool in adobe illustrator).

Every time I have to touch that ruddy graph in affinity I question my decision to cancel my CC subscription. Seems silly, I know.

The ruddy graph is an okay tool - just only for specific use cases. And not very handy for use cases like simulating pen drawings. Adjusting pen strokes inside a small graph with a minimum of precision and maximum of guesswork really is nuts. I think it really is designed for fine tuning lines after using pressure sensitive pens. 

A line width tool would be of much more value in many cases - and the two ways of adjusting line with would supplement each other perfectly.

The line width tool in Adobe Illustrator is straightforward and logical to use. Fast. Precise. Natural. Like a pen. 

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)