You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing Publisher docs within Publisher

Hi,

When importing one Publisher document into another (which I do a lot as many of my deigns run across multiple sizes), is it possible to bring the document in with its bleed settings also visible?

For example, I set my A3 documents to have 8mm bleed in Publisher (but only use 3mm when exporting to PDF) so that I also have a sufficient bleed area available when the document is shrunk to A4 and A5 sizes.

I know I could just copy and paste everything into sa new document and re-size, but I find importing easier - and when I change the A3 master, the changes flow through the other documents in a jiffy.

I see someone is asking a similar question in the Designer forums.

Also, is it possible to turn individual layers on and off in imported files?

As you've probably gathered, I'm an InDesign veteran switching to Publisher. I've found the commands are usually there, but they're not always easy to find!

Thanks in advance to any and all replies. 

• Staff
On 7/13/2019 at 10:12 PM, Richard786 said:

is it possible to bring the document in with its bleed settings also visible?

I'm not aware of a way to do this.  If you've used File>Place to bring in the document, double clicking it would open it up in it's own Window showing you the bleed on the document.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:12 PM, Richard786 said:

Also, is it possible to turn individual layers on and off in imported files?

If you double click the imported file, it opens up in a separate Window where you can disable layers by unticking them on the layers panel :) 

Thanks for your reply, Stoker.

Including bleed on imported files is one of the easiest ways I've found to resample artwork at different sizes. To not have it is a major blow (with Publisher, I'm having to make a master A3 size file 6mm bigger all the way round which will then link and resize snugly into smaller page sizes with a 3mm bleed specified.

It's a bit of a faff though and you have to stay on top of the dimensions box when resizing. A thread to include bleed when importing is definitely going on the "request features" board!