You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.7.1.404] No difference in keyboard shortcuts between number-keys and numpad-number-keys

After setting up a keyboard shortcut by hitting the a numerical key on the top of a standard querty keyboard in the keyboard shortcuts settings panel, both the numericalkey as well as the numpadkey representing the same number trigger this new shortcut.

For example, pressing the '1'-key on the top of the keyboard together with alt to assign a shortcut results in the same keystroke as pressing the 'numpad1'-key together with the same alt-key.

This is not what I would expect, because these are two different keys with no technical connection. Treating both keys as the same limits the amount of keystrokes we can assign. It's also errorprone, because we don't expect the alt+'numpad1' to trigger an action we assigned the alt+'1' (1 on the top of the keyboard). 

So it seems like Affinity doesn't store the key-code, but the key-value to bind a keyboard shortcut. But it should store the key-code instead to assign the right key only.

[edit] Another problem caused by this is what I'm facing right now: I have a rotation assigned to Alt+2 (addressing the regular '2' key on the top of the keyboard). But when I'm in a textframe and want to enter a special character by using an alt code sequence (so while holding Alt hitting a code-sequence like numpad-0, numpad-2, numpad-3, numpad-3 to have a 'é'-symbol) the alt-way to enter a symbol doesn't work anymore AND the canvas will rotate. And that's obviously not what should happen here.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection between this one and the no-difference-between-alt-keys Issue I reported earlier. Maybe the same solution could fix both? That would be nice! :)

Thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...
On 7/18/2019 at 1:56 PM, Sean P said:

Hi wigglepixel,

This is something that is already with development to be fixed! I'll get it bumped with them.

Has this been resolved? I can't still assign separate keyboard shortcuts to num pad or regular numbers in the latest 1.8.1 version 

• 4 months later...