You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[By Design] embedded document bleed

I am creating a 10up sheet of business cards. The original designer file for the card has a .125 bleed set in the document setup. When I drag that file into the 10up file, as an embedded document, there is no bleed. If I edit the embedded document and make the bleed visible, it still doesn't show up in the 10up file.  

When I export the card as a pdf and then drag it in, I get the page box drop down menu that allows me to show the bleed.

Just seems like an extra/unnecessary step. And your not able to see the whole file as an embedded doc.

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 7.11.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 7.11.48 AM.png

Bleed is not considered part of the intended content of the document, but is rather for the benefit of the printing process.

Since the whole point of embedding a document is to show the content of one document inside of another, it kind of makes sense that the bleed would be hidden by default, since you would be positioning the document somewhere on the page and making the bleed visible in the document would in effect make something visible in the finished work that was not considered to be something that was intended to be seen.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, fde101 said:

Bleed is not considered part of the intended content of the document, but is rather for the benefit of the printing process.

Since the whole point of embedding a document is to show the content of one document inside of another, it kind of makes sense that the bleed would be hidden by default, since you would be positioning the document somewhere on the page and making the bleed visible in the document would in effect make something visible in the finished work that was not considered to be something that was intended to be seen.

No it doesn't really make sense. If it's specified it in the document, it shouldn't be ignored! It negates the advantage of the OP's workflow. Just as they offer the options for PDF, the same ought to be offered with native files which are embedded.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

@fde101 is correct. When you place a native project, it will only import what's on the canvas. Any off-canvas objects(bleed included) will be ignored. This is by design. Bleed is applied per document, not per object. I will move this to feature requests. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I just discovered it when looking for a solution to this problem. I created an overlay graphic in Designer to place into an existing Publisher doc someone else was working on. Set it up at the same page size, with the same bleed. imported it into publisher - bleed disappears. I just assumed there must be a way to change this behavior, but apparently not. There are 2 easy solutions but none are quite right - either I can just copy / paste the layer into Publisher. It works but then I don't get any future updates to the original file applied in Publisher. Or I could set up the page size to include the bleed area. It works but it's not ideal given the otherwise tight integration between the apps. Please consider making this an option.