You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MS Word .doc import issue to PUBLISHER !?!

1. I*m trying to import a large .doc file that has images as well and is a book that has already most of the text editing, etc. The .doc file size is around 230 MB and aprox. 500 pages. I saw no other option than to import with Place function the whole document into a text box. My hard drive is clipping although nothing is happening.  Am I doing something wrong or I just need to wait until the file is uploaded into the spread?

2. Would be very usefull to have a sign that shows you that the software is processing or is blocked and to include not only images as resource but word .doc format as well.

Thanks!

@danzefirelli

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

I believe that, at the moment, import of Word files is limited to those with the .docextension, rather than the older .doc format.  I don't know if this will change in the future.

In the meantime, can you open the file in Word and then resave as .docx?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

4 hours ago, danzefirelli said:

I*m trying to import a large .doc file

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/Text/importText.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

@danzefirelli

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

I believe that, at the moment, import of Word files is limited to those with the .docextension, rather than the older .doc format.  I don't know if this will change in the future.

In the meantime, can you open the file in Word and then resave as .docx?

Jeff

by .doc format I meant .docx 

• Staff

I've created some large test files in Word with text and images and they import into Publisher, it may take a few moments but the process does complete. Files are only used for testing and will be deleted after use and sending via PM won't make the file public.