You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Numbered List button, footnotes need work

The numbered list button in Publisher seems to work only if used at the top level and sequentially. If one tries to introduce a list entry hierarchically below the top level (e.g., "1. History ... a. 1960s"), a second listing number is introduced (i.e., "1. History ... a. a1960s"). If one tries to remove the extra "a", the list number disappears entirely and the entry is then converted to normal text, but as it seems with a different indentation than either the previous list or previous text. A workaround using text styles is possible, but cumbersome to use, and the numbering is then no longer automatic.  

A similar issue concerns footnotes and endnotes. One would wish a button to handle this. Currently, one must, it seems, use a text style as a workaround. One must then keep track of the numbering oneself. If one wants a footnote on the same page (rather than an endnote on a separate page), one has to insert a separate text frame so as to avoid having the footnote move if additional text in the main text frame is inserted.

As there are very limited entries in the help section on these issues, I must assume that I haven't simply overlooked something obvious. If I'm wrong on this, I'd appreciate a hint from someone in the forum. If on the other hand my concerns are valid, I hope remedies will be offered in the next version, as both features seem to me fairly central in a professional DTP application like Publisher.

Many thanks in advance,

Fahneflycht   

14 minutes ago, Fahneflycht said:

The numbered list button in Publisher seems to work only if used at the top level and sequentially. If one tries to introduce a list entry hierarchically below the top level (e.g., "1. History ... a. 1960s"), a second listing number is introduced (i.e., "1. History ... a. a1960s").

I'm not sure how you got the "a" level at all. When using the numbered list button, you get 1, 2, 3. If you hit Tab you get an indented level of 1.

What did you do to switch to lettered, rather than numbered.

In any case, for something that complex you may need to use Paragraph Styles.

17 minutes ago, Fahneflycht said:

A similar issue concerns footnotes and endnotes. One would wish a button to handle this. Currently, one must, it seems, use a text style as a workaround. One must then keep track of the numbering oneself. If one wants a footnote on the same page (rather than an endnote on a separate page), one has to insert a separate text frame so as to avoid having the footnote move if additional text in the main text frame is inserted.

Footnotes and endnotes are not yet supported. You are not the first to ask for them :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1