You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"per Story" option for paragraph numbering

The "Restart Numbering" setting currently allows resetting the counter per-document, per paragraph sequence, or manually only.

Sometimes it would be useful to have a numbering sequence specific to a text frame or sequence of linked text frames, i.e. per story.

This small handy setting would eliminate the need to manually reset numbering at the start of each story and therefore also one source of potential errors since it's quite easy to forget.

It's automatically per story, for me. For example, using Numbered 1 with 2 linked Text Frames it will run from 1 up to whatever. Then if I create an unlinked Text Frame it starts at 1 again.

So if you're creating your own style you might compare all your settings with Numbered 1. Or provide a sample document and maybe we can see what is happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Your comment makes me suspect I'm actually dealing with a bug. I thought I had mixed something up, but checking an older proof PDF I sent out to the client, actually I think the numbering re-started with each story at first and then something caused it to suddenly continue across stories without me linking the text frames.

Removing the "Restart Numbering Now" attribute from the first paragraph of the second story causes numbering to continue from the previous story.

The text styles were all created from scratch. Maybe it's just a really obvious setting I am missing.

I'm afraid I can't share the document in question publicly since it was created for a client, but I would be able to send a copy to the development team if necessary.

Still, even if it's a bug, it would actually be really useful to have both options.

If it recreates in a new document using those styles, you could just create something without proprietary info, and you could share it publicly. If it is an error in your Text Styles it should recreate.

Or, you might take that document and remove the proprietary info, and put it dummy info.

Or, again, you could compare your style settings with those in Numbered 1, which work as you want, and see if you spot something obvious.

But the Serif staff can also provide a private upload link if you can't recreate, or don't want to go to that much trouble. :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1