You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Awkward - AD won't export fonts in PSDs

Just had the developer come back raising about why the PSDs don't contain font information, I'm afraid to ask but is there

anything firm on when this will be resolved? It's frankly a little embarassing to have to break dev's regular workflow

because AD rasterizes it's fonts in the PSDs it creates.

Can your developer use PDFs instead of PSDs?

Speaking of awkward, you might like to fix the curious “won’t doesn’t” wording in your topic title!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, jamesholden said:

Thanks, corrected

That doesn’t resolve the main issue, of course. Do you have to use PSD? The problem for the developers is that it’s a proprietary format and there’s no published spec to let them know how to accurately export PSD text as editable text.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Can your developer use PDFs instead of PSDs?

As mentioend, (and he is not alone), it's such an established convention— so even though he may be able to, working from PSDs could potentially aid so many of us working in design for HTML.

28 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That doesn’t resolve the main issue, of course. Do you have to use PSD? The problem for the developers is that it’s a proprietary format and there’s no published spec to let them know how to accurately export PSD text as editable text.

Our messages seemed to have crossed each other before I saw this. TBH I am not sure if it is a problem as much as it is an expectation, but yes it could potentially be a problem for AD, if what you said is so, they will have to find a way to reverse engineer it. 

Notwithstanding it being a weekend, I would very much like to hear from someone at Serif at some point, about whether this is likely/pencilled to happen or not.

I really like AD but this might be the last straw.

4 hours ago, jamesholden said:

Notwithstanding it being a weekend, I would very much like to hear from someone at Serif at some point, about whether this is likely/pencilled to happen or not.

The staff have mentioned many times that while the Affinity developers would very much like to include editable text in PSD exports, there is no ETA for if or when that feature will be added. This is due to the complexity of the PSD text format, to Adobe's incomplete documentation of it, & to their belief that an incomplete implementation that can cause problems with PSD exports is worse than none at all.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7