You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Erratic behavior when zoomed in + second view

I am designing a 24x24 pixel icon, and for optimal workflow I want a 1500-3000% zoomed window AND a 100% zoomed window.

I was very happy that Affinity seems to support this, AND update both windows in real-time! Super well made, and absolutely awesome!

However, the selection behavior suddenly becomes extremely strange an erratic. It actually seems as if the zoomed window has proportionally the selection size of the small window, in that I can click way off an object, and it will still get selected, and resizing handles will be active way, way outside of the highlighted object, and snapping  (which I didn't think I had turned on) goes across great distances.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a bug?

It seems to be in the Bugs forum, @eobet. Possibly a passing moderator moved it; I don't recall where it was when you originally posted it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi eobet,

Does this happen for you on a new document? Would you be able to attach your file that demonstrates this please? I've just tried a quick test on a new document and it seemed to be behaving. 

Is there anything you're doing prior to this that maybe causing this? I've noticed the screen size of Designer seems very small - what resolution is your Windows set to and what Display DPI?

Thanks!

Hello, and thank you for the reply!

I couldn't actually recreate this in a new document.

However, this is the file that has the issue, and I am able to recreate it even on a second machine running 1440p:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llbewi4ebqo0ak3/RhinoRandomColorIcon.afdesign?dl=0

(The video is low resolution due to my capture software only wanting to capture a part of my screen on that machine, which was 1080p.)

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2019 at 3:33 PM, Sean P said:

Hi eobet,

Does this happen for you on a new document? Would you be able to attach your file that demonstrates this please? I've just tried a quick test on a new document and it seemed to be behaving. 

Is there anything you're doing prior to this that maybe causing this? I've noticed the screen size of Designer seems very small - what resolution is your Windows set to and what Display DPI?

Thanks!

Hello, I now managed to recreate it once again, even on 1.7.2:

Please see attached example file:

This is a showstopper for me when it comes to doing icon design. I need a 100% preview while I'm working in zoomed mode.

untitled.afdesign

• Staff

Thank you very much for the video and file. I've now reproduced this and it looks like it is being caused by the 'Snap to geometry of selected curve' option on the context toolbar. I believe it is using the zoom level settings of the smaller window you've just come out from when trying to snap, and not the one of the higher zoom. Quickly adjusting the zoom of the zoomed in part will correct it.

I'll get this passed on to development. Thanks for your perseverance! 

I have the same problem after upgrading to 1.7.x . Thanks for sending this to devs. Actually turning off the snapping significantly reduces this effect. Unfortunately, it still occurs when zooming but with much less intensity. Some kind laggy feel. My AD version 1.7.2.471