You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a Text Frame containing centrally-aligned text.  The frame has a background colour.

I select the frame and then File > Export.

In the Export Settings window, I select JPEG and Selection without background.

The export size shown is the size of the text, not the Text Frame and when I export it, only the text exports, not its containing frame.

Is it me?

Why would you select: selection without a background when you have a text frame with a background?

Anyway if you want transparency PNG is a better choice, mainly because jpeg doesn't support transparency.

If you want a background select : Selection with a Background

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm not sure the background refers to the frame's background.  In any case, even if I select 'with background', I get the same result.

Also, whether png or jpeg makes no difference.

In PagePlus, when I repeat the procedure and select export as picture, I get a coloured rectangle with text inside it, as expected.

Not happening here on Mac, are you using the Move tool (V) to make the selection? Or are you selecting all the text with the Text tool?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

For information, the problem came about when I added a text frame as a title to a picture and exported both as a picture.  The result was that the text frame had been cropped to the top of the text although its width was intact.

The picture below simulates what happened, using a rectangle instead of a picture.

Text frame problem.jpg

Looks like you have the text as Top Align instead of Centre Align.  does the same thing regardless of text alignment. O.o

If you substitute the text frame for a single cell table it will export as you expect it to.

This
670642654_ScreenShot2019-07-13at09_50_18.png.bc71e596534cefa7348d95512a34b120.png

exports as this
769412961_SingleCellTable.thumb.jpg.bf6e5586243f8ba3978ac37aa334e9d2.jpg

You could also just rasterise the text frame layer and export to JPEG and then undo the rasterisation.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions