You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ APhoto 1.7.1.404 ] The shortcut CTRL + J has been reassigned

Just a little remark.
I noticed that, with the 1.7 update, the shortcut Ctrl + J to duplicate a layer has now been assigned to Duplicate Selection .... !
Must therefore be adjusted manually for the time being.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

55 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

Just a little remark.
I noticed that, with the 1.7 update, the shortcut Ctrl + J to duplicate a layer has now been assigned to Duplicate Selection .... !
Must therefore be adjusted manually for the time being.

Regardless of what it's now assigned to, Ctrl+J still duplicates the current layer, as it always has, if a layer is what is selected.

I'm actually not sure what the difference is between Layer > Duplicate Layer and Layer > Duplicate Selection, but Ctrl+J still works for Power Duplicate, for example.
Edit: The Help describes the differences between the two.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Regardless of what it's now assigned to, Ctrl+J still duplicates the current layer, as it always has, if a layer is what is selected.

I'm actually not sure what the difference is between Layer > Duplicate Layer and Layer > Duplicate Selection, but Ctrl+J still works for Power Duplicate, for example.

That 's right, but the shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on a layer and select Duplicate.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

24 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

That 's right, but the shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on a layer and select Duplicate.

True. it's actually a bit strange. For example, from the Help, it would appear that Ctrl+J is not supposed to do a Power Duplicate function, but it does.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Some clarification on what the differences are and why it was changed would be very much appreciated.

For what the differences are, check the Help link in my post just above yours.

-- Walt
PC:

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For what the differences are, check the Help link in my post just above yours.

Thanks! ^-^

Man, the power duplicate thing is super cool. It even works when scaling things up or down with the Move tool and also takes into account your transform origin position. Here's something I did in less than a minute.

1489054061_Powerduplicate!.thumb.png.73f6f19f6fdf695221db9d8960e280d7.png

I should add that, in practical terms, I am still unsure of the difference even though I've read the Help.

For example:

1. If I have a vector object layer selected, Ctrl+J duplicates it.
  2. If I have a pixel layer selected, Ctrl+J duplicates it.
  3. If I have a pixel layer with a pixel selection active, and a vector object layer selected, Ctrl+J duplicates only the vector object.
  4. If I have a pixel layer selected, with a pixel selection active, Ctrl+J duplicates the pixel selection onto a new layer.
  5. If I have two things selected (2 pixel layers, a pixel layer and an object layer, two object layers, etc.) then (as the Help indicates) Ctrl+J duplicates them all into separate layers.

So it seems to recognize the kind of layer(s) that are selected and, if at least one of them is a pixel layer, whether there's a pixel selection active,when deciding what to duplicate.

Then there's the oddball case: I had two pixel layers, and a pixel selection active, but had neither pixel layer selected in the Layers panel. So, what did Ctrl+J do? Photo ignored the Ctrl and took the J as the shortcut for the Healing Brush Tool :)

-- Walt
PC:

I actually figured out a pretty big difference between the two. If you use ctrl+J while you have done a selection with say, the Lasso tool, it will copy that selection that's inside the Lasso tool and nothing else (basically it does the same thing as ctrl+C and ctrl+V while having an active selection). If you R click in the Layers panel and click Duplicate, however, it will duplicate all the content inside the selected layers and does not take your selections into account from using your tools or L clicking the layer thumbnails with modifiers.