You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask outline showing

Hi, I'm Using masks in Designer and while zoomed out you can see the outline of the masks, though the stroke is set to 0 with no colour. As you zoom in so the outline become thinner. I thought at first this was just a visualisation thing that wouldn't appear when exported but it does, though rather jagged. Any ideas why this is happening?

• Staff

Hi Ash,

Could you attach a screen recording that demonstrates this issue please, and also the offending file if possible. When reporting issues it makes things much easier to try and reproduce when you can show what the issue is rather than trying to just describe it. :)

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry can't attach the file but here's some screen shots. On the first you can see it around the base of the house and steps. On the second that's a zoomed in view and the line can clearly be seen running through everything. The 3rd is an exported jpg and it's showing on that. The fourth shows the mask selected with no colours.

Screenshot 2019-07-12 at 12.11.18.png

Thanks. This is my first attempt using Designer so kind of learning as I'm going along. When you say Blend range I'm guessing that would alter the tone etc of the vectors inside the mask? Or would it affect the outline? Sorry it doesn't show up too well but it's almost as if I have a very thin stroke around the entire mask area. I tried to google 'Designer Blend Ranges' but could only seem to get information relating to Affinity Photo.

As for sharing the file privately I'll remove all the elements outside that area and send a smaller file so you don't have to cope with the chaos that is my layering system.

• Staff

Not a problem with the file, just post a message in here when you're all sorted

If you use the Coverage Map option It shouldn't affect the tone, it is just how the edges blend with the objects underneath. So it can generally be used to tweak areas where you might get artifacts around a vector mask!
See the below two screenshots - I've just tweaked the coverage map to go from soft to hard edges.

CoverageMapDefault.JPG

CoverageMapTweaked.JPG

Most of the information you see with Affinity Photo should still be valid/useful when working with Designer, as both apps have the same Blend Range feature. See this tutorial here that might help give an overview on them:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/342752528/

• Staff

Thanks for the file! I've taken a look into it and there is a known issue with clipping that is reported to development which is what is happening in your file. However instead of clipping those objects to an invisible boundary you can instead crop them to it, the problem goes away. I've sent you a link with a resaved file that demonstrates this!

Hope this helps!

Ah thank you. To be honest that was the way I was originally doing things, which is why when I changed approach I suddenly began noticing the clipping issue. I thought I was basically doing the same thing, just in a different way. Either way, many thanks, your help is much appreciated.