You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Global swatches not being copied and then swatch colours changing (demonstrated in a video)

Hi

I've posted another topic regarding the lack of global swatches not being included when copy-n-pasting artwork from one document to another (which is also a shortcoming in Publisher so that's clearly not a bug, just a strange for process), so part of this video is repetitive, however.... when creating swatches from colours used in the document, I'm getting strange mixes that don't match what's in the document. I show this in the video as well. This is my biggest concern because it should be a solution to the lack of global swatch's follow-through.

In my video, I demonstrate how a simple 2-colour blue (100/50/0/0) shifts to 100/39/0/26, a 3-colour version.

If I'm right, it means that every colour in a corporate identity is at risk of shifting to something else the moment I paste a logo into a new document. Hopefully someone can correct my work process and it's not a bug because inconsistent colour mixing between documents is a real deal-breaker for professional design. 

• Staff

Hi Stephen_H,

Thank you very much for the video! I can confirm that you guess at the end of the video is indeed correct. The current 'Create Palette from Fill' option is only an approximation of the colours of the document and not an accurate portrayal. This is something that is with development and they do intend add a proper 'Fill Retrieval function to the software.

The only thing I can suggest in the meantime is to instead Create a Document Palette in your target document and then use the 'Add current colour to palette as global colour' button just to the left of the Empty/Black/Grey/White Quick Swatches. This will create a new global colour swatch that remains linked to all the objects that was previously using that colour.

I understand that this isn't the best (or indeed quickest) solution, however it should allow you to continue working until a whole document Fill Retrieval is available.

Thanks,