You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will there be a page layout program comparable to InDesign or Quark?

Having Adobe headaches today. Had to stop in and remind myself that something better is coming. I'll be ditching the Adobe line completely once I finally have an Affinity solution for all three of my primary Adobe products. Counting the days...

• 4 weeks later...

Windows or both. :D

Exactly the kind of answer I expect from our one & only Advɐncəd Məmbər.  :lol:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Exactly the kind of answer I expect from our one & only Advɐncəd Məmbər.  :lol:

Sorry, but it was just too irresistible! A fuller answer would be something like: "It will be both, and I hope they're released at about the same time, but I wouldn't be greatly surprised if the Mac version comes first (quite possibly several months ahead of the Windows version)."

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think the most important part of Affinity Publisher will be its interfaces to InDesign. Because people who use Adobe will most likely have friends who use Adobe (hell the whole world uses Adobe?) and they would still need to be able to collaborate after the switch to Affinity.

I really love Affinity D & P and I'm eager to finally get Publisher. So I never need to buy Adobe CC in my life.

P.s. Windows is a must.

Just adding my 50c regarding the wait for Publisher. I do not mind if it takes more time than we hope, but please do take care of the quality of its key feature: text setting. The only good enough algorithms I know of are in LaTeX and InDesign. I have been using InDesign for years, setting book pages that indeed look good. I take heavy use even of typographic fine-tuning. With a decent amount of work one can achieve a lot with InDesign. I confirm I as many others I am not interested in polluting Publisher functionality by stuff from Photo or Designer, I just need it to be really good at dealing with very long and complex texts, placing bitmaps/grpahics prepared in Photo and Designer, and - this is also crucial - prooducing high quality PDFXs.

Also, some way of importing InDesign files without completely screwing their contents will be needed. I am certainly not the only one who keeps an archive of a large number of layouts that may need to get reused in future.

And yes I am aching to get away from Adobe as so many other users. Now I stick with CS6, hoping it will survive for some more time before an OS update renders it unusable. I hope and pray Affinity Publisher will have matured enough by then. (But rest assured: I am going to purchase Publisher the moment it becomes available).

I completelly agree with you and I hope that everything dealing with text (except artistic text) will be removed from AD and APh once when Publisher will come out.

Also, I work with publishing software 20+ years and used a lot of software like PageMaker Quark, InDesign... and I still can't understand the logic of text styles used in AD and APh. Why do I need paragraph settings when I want to create a character style and vice versa? I really don't know what are the developers try to invent here. A  hot water?

If these text styles are going to be implemented in APub, then Publisher would be totally useless for me.

For me, InDesign has the best way of dealing with both kind of styles and it should be used as a model for APub.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Is it just me or are the requests getting weirder by the day since the Windows crowd joined the forum?

The requests/suggestions are certainly more plentiful & diverse than before. A few of them do strike me as a bit weird, but I don't know if the overall ratio of weird to not weird is any different.

I think part of the apparent weirdness is there are now a substantial number of users of Windows only apps here, like the Serif Plus & CorelDraw products, so some things they are used to in those apps may seem weird to Mac users. Similarly, the Windows & Mac OS's are enough different "under the hood" that users of one platform will find some things weird about how their system level features are used in the Affinity apps on the other one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

That may be it. Still I see it rather weird to expect the removal of text function from Designer and Photo or full InDesign compatibility (not even InDesign can claim this...)

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

Hi, I just start a new book; is there a beta APub to get? lars

It is supposed to come out in 2017.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 2 weeks later...

Any (somewhat reliable) eta on Publisher other than '2017'? ...

I have been in product development myself and appreciate the efforts and the delays that can come with it. However, betas had been announced for late 2015 or early 2016 ... and I am at a crossroad here: either go full into Affinity products and dump Creative Suite, or dump Affinity. ... I don't have the time to try software out, only to find out that it only makes sense once another software comes out some time in the distant future.

Erma gerd this just might be the answer to my publishing whining -- about a month ago, I'd started writing a video game guide using InDesign. At this time it's over 210 pages, and I'm not halfway through the book. All was going well until this morning when I went to confirm the table of contents, the software crashed like 30 times. I can't figure out why this is happening, and started looking into other alternatives, as I don't want to have to switch up my old Adobe software for a rental Cloud version. 

I signed up for notifications, and stoked to hear any news on the development of Publisher - a thousand times, thank you!

I completelly agree with you and I hope that everything dealing with text (except artistic text) will be removed from AD and APh once when Publisher will come out.

Well, I don't need page layout in AP since that will be what Publisher is for. But I still want a text tool in AD and AP. Many times I do a logo and need a text tool for that, so I wouldn't want it removed completely!

@onamac

artistic text is pefrectly suited for logos. There's absolutelly no need for another text options.

Who are you to decide what needs other people have?  :rolleyes:

May I point out that there is a difference between want & need without ruffling any feathers?

(Just trying to pour a little oil on troubled waters, so please avoid the temptation to set it on fire.  :lol: )

Affinity Photo 

The Frame Text Tool still has it's advantages though, so I wouldn't want all other text options to be eliminated. It's size stays the same whiling scaling the text box, and adding artistic text to a shape converts it to frame text while the shape can still be manipulated. So artistic text wouldn't have the same functions, whereas it might get distorted. I do find both very useful.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

*lights a torch and starts singing* "Fire" :)

So, to take this utterly & completely off topic, which "Fire" are you starting to sing, Arthur Brown's 1968 'shock rock' predecessor song or Bruce Springsteen's much milder 1986 ballad? The first would worry me a lot, the second not so much.  :o  

(I am an old retired concert sound mixer, so these things matter to me. :lol: )

Affinity Photo