You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Older Photoshop Brushes (still .abr) Not Working

Newb question here. I didn't see anything in particular in the search but I may have missed it given the amount of search results. If I did I apologize in advance!

Is it common behavior for older photoshop brushes, that still can be imported into, and worked with, in the latest Photoshop installation, to throw an error when trying to import the same brushes into Affinity Photo?

1156728325_ScreenShot2019-07-12at2_13_54AM.png.1a184d759604bd30555c4d16eb027882.png

When I say older, I mean like 2003 or 2005. In the case of the brush pictured above, it is 2005. I'm also including the brush set on this post in case it is needed for troubleshooting if it isn't normal behavior. Both the Photoshop and Photo installations are on a Mac.

Thank you!

avh_winter_grace.abr

• Staff

Hi IAmDarthMole,

Welcome to the forums :)

I have logged this brush file with our developers I will let you know once I have had a response from them.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

It's one of those graphic scan ABR packs, not a fan of these stamp brushes.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

36 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It's one of those graphic scan ABR packs, not a fan of these stamp brushes.

Thank you for clarifying further on the type of brush pack. Besides the default brushes of various programs I've used, I've only really come across stamp brushes (I assume based on my search criteria). Are there basically two types of brushes? Stamp vs ? 

Thanks!

The term brushes is a very generalised term. You can have pattern brushes, shape brushes, brushes brushes :S that emulate watercolour, oil, acrylic and any number of other media. There is an app called ABRviewer that you can use to see what the ABR file contains. they do a Mac and windows version as far as I am aware. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@IAmDarthMole I finally got around to importing the brush into Photoshop, I have successfully imported this brush into Affinity Photo after exporting it from Photoshop as a new Abr file.

avh_winter-grace_converted.abr

On 7/14/2019 at 4:10 AM, firstdefence said:

@IAmDarthMole I finally got around to importing the brush into Photoshop, I have successfully imported this brush into Affinity Photo after exporting it from Photoshop as a new Abr file.

avh_winter-grace_converted.abr

You sir are a brushman among brushmen! Thank you very much for that, it worked beautifully!! I’m now almost completely moved over to Affinity Photo and on an unrelated noted even starting understanding the concepts behind Affinity Designer. Thank you again for your help!