You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to crop with just horizontal width and DPI

I am very new to Affinity Photo. I've been trying to use the crop tool and can not find a simple way to match what I did in Photoshop. I do simple cropping with everything 500PX and DPI of 96. The vertical height is free form.  In Photoshop I simply enter 500px crop and 96 in the DPI. I then grab the crop frame and move the depth up and down or grab a corner and move the crop around with the resampling going to be the 500PX width and what ever height it landed on. I can't find way of having "nothing" in the vertical box. It snaps to the edges or creates a thin line with some handles. If I use unconstrained the DPI is locked and everything is related to the existing image. I envision I can crop then go under the image and change the DPI but that is very cumbersome. 

So is there a simply way to set the DPI and the Width then dynamically change the height without the crop border going all over everywhere. 

Dan

• Staff

Hi SupportDan,

Welcome to the forums :)

As far as I'm aware there is no why to make the with of a crop dynamically change the height I'm afraid.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Using Absolute Size mode, set the width to 500, DPI to 96 and height to, say, 300.,

1. To adjust the width area of the crop you want, use your mouse to adjust the nodes of the crop on screen
(The width will always remain at 500 as required)

2. To adjust the height area of the crop, put your cursor in the height box in the context tool bar (which we set to 300 initially) and use the arrow keys to change the value until you get the crop height size you want. (Note: Shift + Arrow keys will increase the increments by a factor of 10)

3. You can fine tune the crop by repeating steps 1 & 2 above

It's not as simple as Photoshop but the end result is the same and you get a 500px width image at 96DPI with a variable height

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.