You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Oil painting effect or plugin

• Staff

Hi Worlok :)

12 hours ago, worlok said:

I don't mean a sequence of steps with tools, I mean a one stop effect

Unfortunately not, any effect like this would have to be achieved manually, my apologies.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

If I want to get painterly effects such as oil paints, watercolour, chalks etc. I normally use a dedicated bit of software (which I can't name due to forum rules) for that which does an amazing job, and completely automated (a google search may well bring up this product by a lesser-known graphics company, it doesn't cost the earth but it's more expensive that any of the affinity products).

You can achieve fairly convincing painting effects in tools like Affinity, but it requires a lot of work on your part, but you do have ultimate control by doing so. Sometimes it's worth all the extra effort. You would need to spend some time learning the way the brushes are set up so you can tailor them to suit what you are doing for the best results. Also, I'd recommend getting a pen tablet to get the extra control needed to make it look more natural.

If you want one shot oils you can't go far wrong with Artista Oil from Jixipix it's only $12.99

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I normally use a dedicated bit of software (which I can't name due to forum rules)

I’m not aware of any such rule! Posts to these forums include very many references to Serif’s competitors’ products.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Jixipix is Multi-OS

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Jixipix is Multi-OS

I’ve just visited their website. Almost all of their products are for Mac or Windows, but they have a new ‘Simply Watercolor’ app (“the on-the-go version of our Watercolor Studio Mac App”) for iOS. They’re also offering 35% off everything at the moment.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m not aware of any such rule! Posts to these forums include very many references to Serif’s competitors’ products.

It's this bit in the guidelines about prohibited content?

• any advertising or soliciting including, without limitation, advertisements, store announcements, for sale or trade, coupons, sales, consultants, and eBay postings
  • links to any other commercial website or store, although moderators may use their discretion
  • references to any other website or store in any way that is believed to be solely for advertising

It's a bit ambiguous I know , so I'll take a risk being that I'm not advertising this for my own benefit in any way and I'm generally very pro Affinity! ... the software I was talking about is Dynamic Auto Painter by Mediachance ... it's a little hidden gem of a product that I discovered a few years ago.

• Staff

We have no issue with our customers mentioning and recommending software to others, I appreciate your hesitance here but provided you aren't trying to sell the software or providing a referral link etc then you're welcome to name any software you deem is relevant to the discussion  :)

(apart from Ad**e, the lesser mentioned the better ;))

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

7 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Dynamic Auto Painter by Mediachance

What the hell do cars have to do with ... Oh, Auto = Automatic

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Let me explain. Under Windows I have Paint.net installed and it has a nifty pencil sketch effect and also oil color effect, which are both pretty much single click, and they work great 99% of the time. Something like that for Affinity Photo... I have Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher licenses for both Mac & Windows (yes I bought one of each for both platforms). At home I use my macbook mainly, at work I hae a Windows box, and knowing how expensive Macs are if my macbook ever dies and I can't afford to replace it I know that a Windows lapotop is cheap.

Anyhoo, I was surprised there was no built in filters like this for Affinity

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

We have no issue with our customers mentioning and recommending software to others, I appreciate your hesitance here but provided you aren't trying to sell the software or providing a referral link etc then you're welcome to name any software you deem is relevant to the discussion  :)

(apart from Ad**e, the lesser mentioned the better ;))

Thanks for confirming! 

6 minutes ago, worlok said:

Let me explain. Under Windows I have Paint.net installed and it has a nifty pencil sketch effect and also oil color effect, which are both pretty much single click, and they work great 99% of the time. Something like that for Affinity Photo... I have Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher licenses for both Mac & Windows (yes I bought one of each for both platforms). At home I use my macbook mainly, at work I hae a Windows box, and knowing how expensive Macs are if my macbook ever dies and I can't afford to replace it I know that a Windows lapotop is cheap.

Anyhoo, I was surprised there was no built in filters like this for Affinity

A different target market, perhaps? Serif PhotoPlus (for Windows only) includes a large selection of ‘Instant Artist’ effects.

Alfred spacer.png

I use Affinity Designer for tshirt design creation and also for craft stuff I do for my wife for kids birthday parties and school things - I love Designer and I use it 99% of the time. I use Photo for specific photo things that I then pull into Designer.

Sometimes you want a one click effect and see how that works. Saves time. I do do long hand things with brushes and stuff but sometimes a filter is all one needs or wants.

5 minutes ago, worlok said:

Anyhoo, I was surprised there was no built in filters like this for Affinity

Well, to be honest those type of filters don't tend to be great and only give a pseudo paint effect... give Dynamic Auto Painter a spin and you'll see what I mean, I doubt you'll find an equivalent quality from any other software, it's easily the best I've seen for what it does, but then it's not trying to be anything it isn't - it's just for converting photos to look like they've been made with traditional media, and it does actually paint the picture for you (you can sit and watch it doing it which is fascinating). The right tools for the right job and all that ... 

I actually wouldn't want to see AF Photo getting bulked up with filters like that. You could probably set up macros to achieve some of those sort of things. Early memories of using Photo**op early versions before they had those filters come flooding back where you had to be smart with the channels etc. to achieve effects like drop shadow, and chrome etc.).

For example, if you wanted a pencil drawing type effect in AF Photo you could use the 'detect edges' followed by a layer > invert, then use levels/curves to get the strength of stroke and remove the lighter greys etc. You could spend some time setting this up as a macro then you'd have a one button pencil tool. Oil painting is gonna be a lot tougher but I'm sure it's probably achievable to some extent. Macros are great for these sort of things.

15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

It's also available for iOS

There’s an experimental version for macOS. I can’t find an iOS version in the App Store.

Alfred spacer.png

34 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

On the download page (https://fotosketcher.com/download-fotosketcher/) is a link to the Mac version (at the bottom).

Yes, I saw that. I presume you misspoke when you stated that it’s also available for iOS (which would work on iPhone or iPad).

Alfred spacer.png

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

I’ve just visited their website. Almost all of their products are for Mac or Windows, but they have a new ‘Simply Watercolor’ app (“the on-the-go version of our Watercolor Studio Mac App”) for iOS. They’re also offering 35% off everything at the moment.

For iPhone they do Artista Impresso, Rainy Daze, Aquarella, Simply HDR, Dramatic black and white, Grungetastic, Vintage scene, Pop dot comics, Portrait painter, Photoartista Oil, folder defy and more besides, they also do apps for Android...

https://jixipix.com/mobile/apps.html