You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to toggle on/off individual actions in history request

It would be handy IMO to be able to control the visibility (application) of one or more history items the same way layer visibility is managed (checkbox UI probably). 

Personally, as I experiment, I like to find out what I did caused which effect. Going back in history doesn't accomplish this goal fully as sometimes it's a specific action that generated the result, sometimes it's a combination. By being able to granularly "disable" previous actions, I expect to be able to refine approaches and zero in on capabilities more accurately, and critically, non-destructively.

Split history is useful for some of this but requires re-performing actions that may or may not be deterministic in a user's memory.

Snapshots require forethought and re-performing actions.

Disabling the visibility/impact of history items would be additive to the existing tools. Yes, I'd expect the state of history items to be saved when "Save History with Document" is enabled.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers